Summary of Board of Trustees' Meeting, February 2017
To: Grinnell College Community
From: Patricia Finkelman ’80, Chair, Board of Trustees; Raynard S. Kington, President
The Board of Trustees met last Friday and Saturday in Grinnell. The following is a brief summary of the meeting.
- The Board finalized and voted to approve a comprehensive bylaws revision;
- The Board approved the recommendations from the faculty for honorary degree recipients at commencement 2017;
- Board members attended a recognition event on Friday morning celebrating the beginning of the construction of the Humanities and Social Studies Complex building project;
- The Trustees dined with members of the humanities division faculty on Thursday evening and at dinner on Friday evening enjoyed the company of academic department chairs and interdisciplinary concentration chairs;
- Board members participated with a great turnout of students on Thursday evening in informal, small-group conversations about the College then and now, organized by the Student Government Association;
- President Kington provided a campus update;
- Board members heard a presentation on the plans to more fully define and strengthen the College’s brand from representatives from the marketing firm Ologie, along with Deb Lukehart, Vice President for Communications;
- Andrea Conner, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs, led a panel discussion on substance abuse prevention, mental health support, violence prevention, and social well-being. Other members on the panel were Deb Shill, Director of Student Health and Counseling Services, Jennifer Jacobsen ’95, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Wellness and Prevention, and Sarah Moschenross, Dean of Students;
- Continuing their theme of “Grinnell then and now” the Student Government Association (SGA) officers presented a visual look back at the legacy of student activism at the College;
- Trustees heard a resolution honoring the dedication and service of Dr. Kihwan Kim ’57, fellow Trustee since 2003.
Pictured (from left to right):
Michael Latham, Vice President for Academic Affairs; Raynard Kington, President; Patricia Finkelman ’80, Chair of the Board; Anne Spence ’66, Trustee; Joel Spiegel ’78, Trustee; Steve Holtze ’68, Trustee; Mayor Gordon Canfield; Kate Walker, Vice President for Finance and Treasurer of the College; and City Manager Russ Behrens.