For over 30 years, the Scholars' Convocation series has created a common educational experience shared by the entire Grinnell College community. Established in the late 1970s in response to the college's move to an open curriculum, the accessible interdisciplinary nature of convocation offers an intellectual encounter that transcends disciplinary boundaries.
Scholars' Convocations are scheduled through a faculty committee. If you are planning or are interested in planning a Scholars' Convocation, please see Scholars' Convocation Proposals.
All Scholars' Convocations are held at noon in the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center, Room 101, unless otherwise noted.
- September 18: Title IX Rosenfield Symposium: Angela Ruggiero
- October 2: Dawn Porter, Criminal Justice System Reformer, Attorney, and Gideon's Army Filmmaker
- October 16: Raynard Kington, State of the College
- November 20: Judith Klinman, Chemistry Professor of the Graduate School, University of California, Berkeley
- December 4: Jeffrey J. Kripal, Professor of Philosophy and Religious Studies, Rice University
- February 5: Masha Gessen, Journalist and Author, Rosenfield Symposium on Putin's Russia
- March 5: Daniel S. Pine, M.D., National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program.
- April 2: Elizabeth Kolbert, Journalist and Author of The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
- April 16: Phi Beta Kappa, Philip Deloria, Professor of History and Native American Studies, University of Michigan