Grinnell, iowa - Beginning Friday, April 11, Faulconer Gallery will host the annual Bachelor of Arts Exhibition (BAX), formerly the Annual Student Art Salon. BAX is a professional exhibition of mature student works in the creative arts, including visual and performing arts.
Student organizers include: Remy Ferber ’14, Hannah Safter ’14, Hannah Fiske ’14, Eden Marek ’15, and Becky Garner ’15. These students distributed guidelines to student artists, selected the juror, worked with the budget for prizes and juror expenses from endowed funds, and called for entries. During the exhibition, they will manage the delivery of works of art, provide a checklist of work for the show to gallery staff, and supervise the design of the announcement card including printing, mailing, and other distribution. Milton Severe, director of exhibition design at Faulconer Gallery, designs the exhibition, and Lesley Wright, the gallery director, coordinates BAX with the students.
This exhibition will feature works by students Kathlyn Cabrera ’14, Danielle DeSantes ’15, Daniel Ehrlich ’14, William Elsas ’14, Martin Estrada ’15, Hannah Fiske ’14, Becky Garner ’15, Amy Linder ’14, Nathan Kim ’16, Eden Marek ’15, Patricia Murphy-Geiss ’14, Martha Orlet ’15, Na Chainkua Reindorf ’14, Delia Salomon ’14, Gavin Warnock ’14, and Julissa Zamora ’15. The team of Brian Buckley ’14, Dylan Fisher ’14, Mikey Maiorana ’12, Eden Marek ’15, Leah Meyer ’15, and Patty Murphy-Geiss ’14 will present a site-specific installation with sound. Chloe Pachovas ’14, Austin McKenney ’15, Samanea Hunter-Karrfalt ’14, Mekdes Kebede ’14, and Lainie-Ruth Benedict ’15 will do a performance during the opening.
Benedict Heywood, executive director of The Soap Factory in Minneapolis, will select the yearly prizes in studio art. The Office of Student Affairs and the Student Government Association will award purchase prizes as well.
During the BAX, Faulconer Gallery will host the following events:
- Thurs., April 10, noon: “Making Art for the Midwest: The Soap Factory, Minneapolis,” a talk by juror Benedict Heywood, executive director of The Soap Factory, Minneapolis in Bucksbaum Room 152.
- Fri., April 11, 5 p.m.: Opening reception. Benedict Heywood and others will announce awards, and refreshments will be served.
- Sat., April 12, 1:30 p.m.: Community Day. Tour the exhibitions, complete a scavenger hunt, enjoy printmaking, and create sculptures from shoes. All are welcome, and refreshments will be served.
- Wed., April 16, 7:30 p.m.: Spring harp recital. Under the direction of Kristin Maahs, applied music associate.
- Thurs., April 17, 7:30 p.m.: Fresh flutes concert. Under the direction of Claudia Anderson, applied music associate.
- Wed., April 30, 4:15 p.m.: “Sharing Complex Conversations,” a talk by curator Patterson Sims, president of the Board of Independent Curators International.
The BAX is open through May 4. Gallery hours are 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven days a week, and admission is free.
Faulconer Gallery is located in the Bucksbaum Center for the Arts at 1108 Park St. For more information about the exhibitions and related programs, call 641-269-4660 or visit www.grinnell.edu/faulconergallery. Information on parking and accessibility is available on the college website. Accommodation requests may be made to Conference Operations at 641-269-3235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.