Our History

 

The East College building is completed in Grinnell. For several years it houses all of the functions of Iowa College.

 

As the Civil War ends, George Fredric Magoun is inaugurated as president of the College. He serves until 1884.

Joanna Harris Haines is the first to earn a certificate from the Ladies’ Course and later teaches at the College. Rev. E.M. Vittum explains that the women receive diplomas, but not bachelor’s degrees, at graduation because College officials feel “a little delicacy in declaring that the young ladies [are] bachelors of arts.”