Our History

The Department of Applied Christianity is established. George Herron, a Congregational minister, is the first professor.

 

Ernest Atherton 1895 designs the Honor G insignia for athlete’s uniforms. The symbol, a Maltese cross inlaid with a block letter “G,” remains in use today by the athletic department, relatively unchanged since its creation.

The E.D. Rand Gymnasium for women is built with a gift from Carrie Rand, an instructor in social and physical culture, and principal for women at the College.

The Scarlet & Black, Grinnell’s student newspaper, begins printing semiweekly. It contains campus news, notices of meetings, alumni notes, editorials, and some local news. It is still in print today.