Our History

Carnegie Library is built with a gift from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It was one of the few college libraries funded by Carnegie, who was principally interested in supporting community libraries.

 

Dan Bradley, a Congregational pastor from Grand Rapids, Mich., is selected as College president by the trustees. 

Herrick Chapel is built. It quickly becomes home to the vespers services that John H.T. Main began in 1901. The building was named for Stephen Leonard Herrick, an early settler in Grinnell and a local merchant and trustee of the College.

John H.T. Main, a professor of Greek at the College, begins 25 years of service as president of the College after two earlier stints as acting president. He establishes Grinnell as a residential college, building the North and South Campus halls.

The Christian Association “Y” Building is completed. Its name is changed to Steiner Hall in 1959 to honor Edward A. Steiner, a professor of applied Christianity at Grinnell from 1903 to 1941.