Our History

 

War-surplus Army barracks from an air base in Sioux City are brought to campus and placed where the Forum now stands. In 1948, the barracks are converted into a student union. The first floor is used for social purposes, with classrooms and faculty offices on the second floor.

 

Darby Gymnasium is erected and named for John Frederick Darby 1895. As a student, Darby excelled in several sports during the “golden era” of Grinnell athletics.

Samuel Stevens, dean of the University College of Northwestern University, is named president of the College.