Procedure for use of the Accessible Van
- Academic Year: the accessible van is under the supervision of the Health Center. It is used Monday-Friday, 8AM-5PM to transport students for medical reasons throughout the City of Grinnell.
When the van is needed to transport a person with limited mobility for one of the priority use activities above, the following applies:
- The professor of the class, leader of the group, or hosting department or program must request use of the van by notifying the Health Center Director a minimum of one week in advance of the date needed and provide an account number. This advance notice is needed so that the Director of the Health Center can determine whether (a) the Health Center staff can transport the person with limited mobility or (b) whether the sponsoring department must arrange for a substitute vehicle from Facilities Management.
- If "b", then Facilities Management will deliver a substitute vehicle to the Health Center and pick it up. The Health Center Director will make note of the out and in mileage and forward the net mileage and the account number to Facilities Management. If a replacement vehicle for the Health Center is rented, the requesting party will pay the higher cost-mileage for the accessible van or rental cost of a replacement vehicle. The requesting party will need to make arrangements with the Director of the Health Center to pick up and return of the accessible van, key, and handicap hang tag to the Health Center.
- Reunion: During reunion the van is supervised and operated by the Reunion staff and not available to other constituencies of the campus. The use of the accessible van is limited transportation of invited guests with limited mobility to/from campus and on campus.
- Summer Recess: The van is housed and supervised by Mike Burt, Facilities Management. The use of the van is limited to
- Transport Trustees and invited guests of the College with limited mobility to and from College-sponsored events.
- Transportation of students with limited mobility to College-sponsored off-campus events, activities and academic programs, in instances where transportation is being provided to all students in the group or is necessary in order for the student to attend the event or program.