Call 641-269-4940 to schedule your individual appointment: career planning, the job search, internships, or resume/Cover letter review.
Resume & Application/Cover Letter Review Hours
(10 minute slots that do not need an appointment)
Mondays - 12:30p.m. - 2:00p.m. & 3:00p.m. - 5:00p.m.
Tuesdays - 11:00a.m. - 2:00p.m.
Wednesdays - 2:00 - 4:00p.m.
Thursdays - noon - 2:00p.m.
Fridays - noon - 1:30p.m.
Electronic Resume Reviews - for current Off-Campus Study Students and Alumni Only. Email your resume to email@example.com.
Quickstop Drop-in Sessions
(15 minute slots, for any questions, that do not need an appointment)
Tuesdays - Fridays: 8:30a.m.-noon & 1:00-4:30p.m.
FOCUS is a self-paced, online career and education planning tool for use by college students. It will enable you to self-assess your career relevant personal qualities and explore career fields and major areas of study that are most compatible with your assessment results. Students who use FOCUS make better decisions about their goals and plans and learn how to self-manage their careers. Use FOCUS to help you - Choose or change your major and also to verify your preferences or early choice of a career field. Returning Users New Users Use "pioneers" for your access code.
The CDO Library includes titles on resume writing, interviewing, job searching, internships, and various careers available for check out. In addition, booklets pertaining to resume and cover letter writing, graduate school entrance exam preparation, and networking are available at no charge to students. The CDO Library is open Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
The Selective Liberal Arts Consortium offers the opportunity for employers to interview bright, talented students from 14 of the nation's most selective and competitive liberal arts colleges. The Selective Liberal Arts Consortium offers:
- Regional Recruiting Days for full-time positions and internships held annually in four major metropolitan areas: Chicago, New York, Washington, D.C., and San Francisco.
Recruiting Days 2012-13
Chicago - Friday, November 30, 2012
New York - Friday, January 4, 2013
Washington, DC - Monday, January 7, 2013
San Francisco - Friday, January 11, 2013
Recruiting Days 2013-14 - TBA
Find out more about SLAC and the interview days at www.slaconsortium.org. Watch for SLAC's powerpoint presentation, which will be added soon. There is a very useful Student Timeline on the website as well.
How to Participate
1. Attend a Hack into SLAC information session at the CDO, held in the fall semester. Meet with a CDO staff member and get your questions answered.
2. Read and sign the Participation Agreement form - you cannot apply for positions without completing this step.
3. Login, complete your profile, upload your resume, and apply for positions.
4. For more information, review the CDO's Hack into SLAC flyer or SLAC's information sheet, available in the CDO.
Resume Submission Deadlines
Chicago Interview Day - mid-October
All other days - late October
- Spring Virtual Recruiting Days - April 1-8, 2013 - If you are looking for a job in the spring, the Virtual Recruiting Days may be for you. Connecting employers with students in early spring using an online format, this event is for seniors. Employers post job openings and students review job descriptions and submit resumes online. Employers access applications on the website at any time during the Fair and then contact selected students by phone or email to set up interviews. To participate, go to SLAC's Events page for instructions and links.
The Liberal Arts Career NetWORK (LACN) has been in existence for over ten years growing in membership to 31 highly selective liberal arts colleges. LACN’s mission is to collaboratively maximize technology in developing innovative resources and initiatives, positioning students and graduates for a competitive advantage in the global marketplace. LACN offers:
- LACN Jobs and Internship Postings Access jobs and internships that have been posted and shared with the LACN consortium. You can also jump to the Nationwide Internship Consortium (NIC) database and access thousands more internships.
- Spotlight on Careers Learn about career fields that are popular among liberal arts graduates.
Whether you are seeking an internship or a full-time position, you will be well served by taking advantage of the recruiting events sponsored by ICoRN. This state-wide recruiting network of 29 Iowa private colleges and universities will provide you access to several leading employers across Iowa, throughout the Midwest, and around the country. ICoRN currently hosts three distinct recruiting events designed to connect students from our 29 member colleges and universities with employers from a wide range of companies and industries.
The next event is: Friday, February 22, 2013 | Simpson College's West Des Moines Campus
Spring Interview Day: Employers will gather in West Des Moines to interview students for full-time positions as well as internships. There is an online application process and employers will pre-select candidates for interviews.
How to Participate: Complete registration and application instructions, along with the list of full-time and internship positions, is available on the ICoRN website's Events page.