Applications for Spring Break 2013 have closed.
- Applications will be able online one month prior to the application deadline (~early January 2013).
- Go to the Grinnell College Human Resources Career Site to view the posting details for each application and what materials are needed to successfully submit your application.
- Click the "Apply for this Job" link. You will need to set up an account to apply for the Grinnell College Externship Program.
- Complete all the information that is required in the application. The application materials and forms needed for your application will be available below. It is advised that you save all your required attachments as PDFs for easy upload into your online application. You can come back to your application at any point if you do not finish it in one setting. Please note that the online application will no longer be accessible following the 11:59 p.m. cst deadline, so plan ahead.
- Once you enter in your initials that certify all the information in your application is true and accurate, you will received a confirmation number. Please keep that for your records. After you receive your confirmation code, you will be asked a few demographic questions.
Externship Waiver Release and Indemnification Agreement - Print Version - needs to be signed by you and your parent or guardian. You can email or fax your parent or guardian the form. He or she can print it, sign it, and then scan it or fax it to you. You can print it, sign it, and scan it too in order to upload it to your application. Scanners available around campus (e.g., Burling Library)
(Optional) Anticipated Travel Expenses Form - Print Version (ONLY FOR THOSE THAT DEMONSTRATE FINANICAL NEED ------ There is LIMITED funding available for externs to apply for to cover travel expenses to relocate the extern to the extership site and return to Grinnell. This funding does not cover the purchase of a bike or vehicle. Print this form, fill it out by hand, then scan it, and upload it into your online application.
Resume - You are highly encouraged to have your resume reviewed by a Career Counselor at the CDO.
Unofficial Transcript - You must obtain the unofficial transcript from the Registrar's Office. Transfer students must also upload a copy of their transcript from their previous institution. You can request that your unofficial transcript be emailed to you as a PDF document if you are off-campus. Visit the Registrar's Office website for instructions and to access the request form. If you are on campus, you need to bring you P-card to the Registrar to receive a paper copy of your unofficial transcript and scan it into a PDF. Scanners are available at Burling Library.
Externship Rank - You can rank up to 3 externships for which you'd like to apply. You do not need to rank 3 externships, but you can if you'd like.
Essay Questions - Each response should be limited to 350 words.
- Why are you interested in participating in the Externship Program? What are your goals in completing this program?
- How do the externships that you ranked relate to your interests and studies? Be sure to address both: A) What have you done that prepares you to take this step in career exploration academically and personally? and B) How will the externship complement your remaining studies at Grinnell and influence your post-Grinnell career plans?
- Please explain the reasoning for your travel expense request (optional essay question - only if applicable).
Two Recommendation Forms - One must be from a Grinnell College faculty member and the other can be from a Grinnell College facutly member or a work/volunteer supervisor. For the recommendation forms from the two recommenders, once you submit your online application, an e-mail will be automatically sent to the two recommenders who you provided their names and email addresses in your online application with instructions regarding how to submit the recommendation form on your behalf. You will receive an e-mail after each recommendation form has been submitted from each recommender. Please note that you need to ask those who you would like to serve as your recommenders before you submit his/her name in your online application as a professional courtesy. Also, please note that your application will not be considered complete until your references have submitted their forms. Thus, you should finish your application by Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013 in order to give your references enough time to complete their forms prior to the Feb. 13 application deadline.
If you have any questions regarding this application process, please contact the CDO at 641-269-4940 or e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.