Datatel Colleague migration and adjustment to check run date
As previously announced, Datatel (Ellucian) Colleague will be unavailable from June 14-18, 2012, due to a system migration. Therefore, we will not be able to process checks in the accounts payable system as normally scheduled on June 14 and June 18. We will process a check run on Wednesday, June 13, prior to the system going offline. In order to be included on the June 13 check run, materials must be in our office by 10:00AM, Tuesday, June 12. Normal processing will resume with the check run on Thursday, June 21.
End of fiscal year closing & invoice and cash receipt processing
In conjunction with the closing of fiscal year 2011-2012, the processing of checks will be limited during the closing period, July 1-6, 2012. Specifically, the initial check run for fiscal year 2012-2013 is planned for Monday, July 9, 2012. Therefore, we will appreciate it if you minimize requests for checks to be written during this time frame. Checks will be prepared on a limited basis under emergency circumstances only.
During the closing period, please approve and forward all invoices dated on or before June 30, 2012, to the Accounting office no later than Thursday, July 5, 2012. Such invoices received after July 5, 2012, should be approved and forwarded to the Accounting office as soon as possible. This will allow us to properly reflect these expenditures in fiscal year 2011-2012 and complete other fiscal year closing procedures.
Please continue to approve and forward invoices dated after June 30, 2012 as received. We will process this activity following the completion of the closing process.
All cash receipts for fiscal year 2011-2012 should be submitted for processing prior to the June 30, 2012, closing date. Any cash receipt activity for Friday, June 29, that cannot be submitted by the end of the day on June 29, 2012 or activity for Saturday, June 30, 2012, should be prepared and delivered to the Cashier by 10:00AM Monday, July 2, 2012.
Change in Staff Sick Leave is Coming on July 1
Informational sessions about a change in staff sick leave were held during the Benefits Fair last October. After July 1, 2012, all non-exempt (hourly) and exempt (salaried) staff will be on the same sick leave plan. This plan includes 10 sick days per year, allocated on July 1. And for those who need it, a short-term disability plan will be available on the 11th day of disability (with insurance approval). As a reminder, our current long-term disability plan begins after 180 days of disability (with insurance approval). All three of these (sick leave days, short-term and long-term disability insurance) will help take care of our employees, when they need it most.
This change also solves two current problems – non-exempt staff will no longer go without pay while awaiting long-term disability and exempt staff will be able to use sick leave to care for their family members.
If you are interested in the specifics about how this change will affect you on July 1, please do the following:
Non-exempt (hourly) staff:
Look at your paycheck stub from the last payroll (the check you received on Friday, June 8th) to estimate your sick leave balance. If your total sick leave hours are less than 600 hours, then those are the hours (plus those you will accrue by July 1 or minus those that you take before July 1) that will be transferred over to your new sick leave balance prior to the Fiscal Year ’12-13 allotment. If your hours are more than 600, you will need to follow the instructions below to get the Conversion Calculator out of Pioneer web. This calculator will help you estimate the amount of your sick leave balance on June 30, 2012, and the bonus that you will receive. Keep in mind, however, that your sick leave balance on June 30, 2012, is the amount that will be used for the conversion. The bonus will be included in your July 20th paycheck.
- If you are a non-exempt employee who was once an exempt employee, the HR department will compute your sick leave balance and send you a personal statement.
Exempt (salaried) staff:
If you are a full-time, 12 month, exempt employee and have less than 18.75 years of service, then do this simple calculation:
1) Figure out your years of service on your anniversary date and add 1/12th for each month until June 30, 2012. Refer to the following chart and examples:
Examples: February 1, 2000 = 12 years + 4/12 months = 12.33 years
April 28, 2005 = 7 years + 2/10 months = 7.17 years
2) Multiply your years of service by 4.
3) The total equals your sick leave balance in days prior to the addition of 10 sick leave days for the FY ’12-13.
- If you have more than 18.75 years of service, you will need to follow the instructions below to get the Conversion Calculator out of Pioneer web. This calculator will help you determine the amount of your sick leave balance on July 1, 2012.
- If you are a full-time, exempt employee who works less than 12 months per year, you will need to follow the instructions below to get the Conversion Calculator out of Pioneer web. This calculator will help you determine the amount of your sick leave balance on July 1, 2012.
- If you are a part-time exempt employee, you will need guidance from the HR department to determine your sick leave balance.
- If you are an exempt employee who was once a non-exempt employee, the HR department will compute your sick leave balance and send you a personal statement.
How to get to the Conversion Calculator:
1) Log in to Pioneer web and search for the Employment Resources organization under “Community” and “Organizations in which you are participating”
2) Once you are in the Employment Resources organization, click on the tab that says, “2011 Benefits Fair”, scroll down and open the “Conversion Calculator”. Print the page of the document that is relevant to you (non-exempt or exempt).
If you have questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext. 4818 or any member of the Benefits Committee:
Laureen Van Wyk
Tina Iyer Elfenbein
Staff Council Update
* The Staff Council recently received an inquiry regarding staff diversity. "One of the areas of concern the members of the Staff Handbook Committee was unable to address during our meetings was that of staff diversity, specifically amongst non-exempt staff. I’m interested in knowing if progress has been made in regard especially in recruitment and retention. If this area has not been addressed, I’d like to suggest that the Staff Council look into it." At our most recent meeting, the council discussed gathering information on this issue, since most of us were not aware of previous discussions. Mark Watts is the Staff Council representative to the Diversity and Inclusion committee, and will pursue the topic of staff diversity with the committee.
* The search for an ombudsman is moving forward. Two staff council members, Barb and Carlie, have been asked to serve on the search committee and are honored to do so.
* For Your Information – As mentioned in a previous Laurel Leaf, Staff Council is represented on a variety of campus committees. The committees, and the Staff Council who serve are:
- Benefits Committee: Barb Shell
- Diversity and Inclusion: Mark Watts
- Information Technology: Sondi Burnell
- Parking Committee: Beth Meldrem
- Process Analysis Committee: Most Staff Council members
- Space Committee: Carlie VanWilligen
- Staff Handbook Committee: Carlie VanWilligen
- Strategic Planning: Mary Phipps (Mary also chaired the Transparency working group!)
* How well do you know the members of the staff council? Play along with the first installment of “Guess that Staff Council Member!”
Who am I?
- I have worked in the same department my entire time with Grinnell.
- My responsibilities at the College put me in direct contact with students, faculty and staff.
- I have a child in college.
- I joined the Staff Council to learn how programs, policies, and benefits affect various segments of staff.
- Of all the Staff Council members, I have been with the College the longest.
Think you know? Submit your guesses at https://survey.grinnell.edu/se.ashx?s=2511374534767FE3. One winner from all correct guesses received will be chosen at random and will receive a token of appreciation from the Staff Council (seriously, we have no budget…).
- Presentation Cook (37.5 hr/wk, 10-months)
- Spencer Grill Night Supervisor (37.5 hrs/wk, 10-months)
Development & Alumni Relations
- Director of Major and Planned Giving, full-time
- Associate Director of Electronic Media and Communications, full-time
- Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, full-time
- Assistant Director of Alumni Relations for Admission Programs, full-time
Center for Religion, Spirituality and Social Justice
- Assistant Chaplain (Full-time - 10 months)
- Rabbi & Advisor (Part-time - 10 months)
- Digital Library Applications Developer, full-Time
- Director of Media Relations, full-time
- Production Coordinator / Graphic Designer, full-time
- Creative Director, full-time
- Writer, full-time
- Photographer / Videographer, Communications, full-time
- Editorial Fellow, Communications, full-time, 1-year term
- Media Relations Fellow, full-time, 1-year term
Information Technology Services
- Helpdesk Manager, Information Technology Service, full-time
- Intranet Applications Integrator, full-time
- Assistant Director of Admission, full-time
- Admission Counselor (2 Year Term), full-time
- Interim Director of Mathematics Laboratory, full-time
Student Health & Counseling Services
- Staff Psychologist (full-time, 11-months)
- Call-in Custodian, Facilities Management
- Call-in Cashier, Dining Services
- Call-in Dispatcher, Security
For more information on employment opportunities, please visit the Career Site at https://jobs.grinnell.edu
Employees on the Move
- Conni Gause, Administrative Support Assistant, Faulconer Gallery, June
- Kady Shea, Residence Life Coordinator, Student Affairs, July 2
- Gabriel Barela, Residence Life Coordinator, Student Affairs, July 2
- Latoya Johnson, Residence Life Coordinator, Student Affairs, July 2
- None to report
- Vicki Wade, College Services Quality Manager, College Services, effective May 18
- Michael Hunt, Senior Residence Life Coordinator, Student Affairs, May 31
- Arrion Dennis, Residence Life Coordinator, Student Affairs, May 31
- Darren Gallant, Residence Life Coordinator, Student Affairs, May 31
- Garson Herzfeld, Associate Chaplain, CRSSJ, June 1
- Sandy Gray, Custodian, Dining Services, June 3
- Elena Bernal, Vice-President and Chief Diversity Officer, Diversity and Inclusion, June 8
- Ginger Faulkner, Staff Psychologist, SHACS, June 15
- Lauren Hester, Library Assistant-Circulation, June 15
- Effie Hall, Associate Director of Development, Development & Alumni Relations, June 29
- Quinton Clay, Coordinator of Chicago Recruitment, Admission, June 29
- Sarah Gale, Admission Counselor, June 29