Faculty Named Chair Installation Ceremony
On Friday October 12th at 5:00 pm in Herrick Chapel, Grinnell College will honor six professors who have achieved academic excellence and were recently selected to hold a named chair. We invite you to come be a part of the honor and to attend a reception afterwards in the rotunda of the Bucksbaum Center for the Arts.
Discover Grinnell Programs – October 5
The Office of Admission is gearing up for our annual Discover Grinnell Programs on Friday, October 5, 2012. These programs are designed for prospective students and their families to experience the Grinnell College community. We make every effort to present a thoughtful and comprehensive picture of the academic, co-curricular, and extracurricular opportunities available to our students.
During the Discover Grinnell Programs, students are able to spend the night in one of the residence halls with a current student host, attend class, eat in the dining hall, and take a tour of campus. We also offer a variety of informational sessions featuring faculty, staff and current students.
We rely on the entire college community to make the Discover Grinnell Programs a success. We could not offer these programs without great cooperation and flexibility from all staff, faculty and current students. We would like to thank the entire Grinnell College community for generously hosting the prospective students and their families!
The Discover Grinnell Programs are coordinated by Jennifer Hirsch, Assistant Director of Admission and Coordinator of Campus Visits and Events, with a great deal of help from the rest of the Admission staff. We are always looking to further refine the program and welcome any questions or suggestions for the programs. Please contact Jennifer Hirsch (otottjen) with questions and comments.
Find New Homes for Stuff you Don't Need!
Have an item in your office you don't want? Freecycle it to another department!
Grinnell College has recently started an application at Freecycle@Work. Freecycle@Work is a free application run by Intuit QuickBase that allows organizations to exchange items internally. It is a great way for departments and the College to save money on items that might be sitting in storage, or for individuals to find a home for unwanted items no longer wanted or needed.
How do I use Freecycle@Work?
1.Visit freecycle.quickbase.com and sign up for an account. Bookmark the page for easy reference!
2. You must sign up with an @grinnell.edu email address. Other addresses will not take you to the correct application.
3. Freecycle@work can be used for both company-owned and personal items, however company-owned items should remain among Grinnell College departments. Company-to-personal ownership is strongly discouraged.
4. All items must be free. (It is after all, freecycle). Do not post items for sale or advertise sales on this application.
Tell all your friends and colleagues! Freecycle@Work is a grassroots opportunity. The more people sign up, the more effective it will be!
For even more information, visit www.grinnell.edu/freecycle
Staff Council Update
The fall semester is in swing, and so is the Staff Council! Recent developments include:
* Members Mark and Brent have joined the Wellness and Space committees respectively. Carlie has joined the Committee on Admission and Financial Aid for their discussions of the need-blind admission policy.
* The Staff Council had the pleasure of seeing a sneak-peek of the redesigned website. Thanks to Jim Reische and Leonya Ivanov for taking their time to provide information and a look into our plans for a new www.grinnell.edu! Communications will be looking for volunteers to do user testing of the new site later in the fall. If you are interested, let your favorite Staff Council member know!
* Council members Barb and Carlie have been serving on the search committee for a campus ombudsman. They are pleased that the committee has provided a recommendation to President Kington regarding potential candidates for the final stages of the search.
* The Staff Council will play an important role in the upcoming implementation of the Strategic Plan. Council member Carlie will serve, along with Karen Voss and Angela Voos, as implementation co-leads for Strategy 6: The Management of Grinnell's Financial and Human Resources. The council will meet on October 8 with Angela to discuss the role that the council and staff can play in the implementation process.
* It is almost fall break, and everyone knows what that means – Fall Staff Luncheon! Look for information in the next week about the date and potential luncheon program.
* Time for another lively and entertaining round of "Name That Staff Council Member!"
Who am I?
- I joined the Staff Council to share the ideas I've gathered from working with staff, and hopefully make a positive impact on our culture and environment.
- I started at Grinnell as the computer applications trainer in ITS.
- I have a child in high school.
- Prior to coming to Grinnell, I taught Mathematics in a K-12 public school system.
- Of all the Staff Council members, I am the tallest.
Think you know? Submit your guesses at https://survey.grinnell.edu/se.ashx?s=2511374534767FE3. One winner from all correct guesses received will be chosen at random and will receive a token of appreciation from the Staff Council.