Join Intramural Sports
Staff, faculty (and their families) and students sign up for any of the following intramural sports this fall at Grinnell.athleague.com:
- Knockout tournament
- Indoor Soccer
- Badminton tournament
- Billiards tournament
- Foosball tournament
- Arena football
- Rock, paper, scissors tournament
If there are any questions please feel free to contact Tim Hammond.
If you're interested in other ways to connect with people on-and off-campus, you can also check out:
Faculty/Staff Connect Lunches
Ever wonder what the people across campus or down the hall are like, or what they care about? Join your colleagues for the weekly Faculty/Staff Connect lunches. These informal lunches give you the opportunity to meet people from across campus, to chat with close colleagues, and to help improve the community at the College. Faculty/Staff Connect meets every Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Marketplace Pavilion (the "whale room" at the West end of the dining hall). Pay regular Marketplace rates at the door or stop in the Dining Services office (JRC 2nd floor) to purchase five meals (with cash or personal check) for only $25 ($5 for each meal!). Feel free to join us weekly, monthly, or whenever you find it convenient! For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources.
"Grinnell Connect" (Community Group facilitated by the Chamber of Commerce)
This group's efforts focus on connecting new and long-standing residents through social, civic, charitable and professional activities. If you live and/or work in the Grinnell area, this is the group for you! Get updates on fun events and activities in the community and have a built-in group of friends to attend those things with. Membership is free and open to all. To join, send an email to email@example.com or find our group on Facebook!
For more ways to get connected, make a difference, and have fun in Grinnell, check out our office webpage: http://www.grinnell.edu/offices/communityenhance/employeeengagement.
Small Business Workshop -- 2 Nights
Tuesday, Sept 11, 2012
Thursday, Sept 13, 2012
5:45 to 9:00 pm
Newton DMACC Campus
600 N. 2nd Avenue West
Newton Development Confrerence Room 264
Dreaming of starting your own business or growing your existing business but aren't sure how? You aren't alone. This SCORE workshop will provide you with an array of information to guide you. The following subject will be discussed.
- Business plans
- Personal factors
- Financial statements
- Sales forecasting
- 12 month cash flow projections
- Amortization Schedules
The workshop is free of charge. Please do register by Monday, Sept 10 by calling Newton Development at 641.787.8210.
$5,000 Grant Will Be Given To Area Entreprenuer
On September 1 through September 25, business owners and striving entrepreneurs may submit an entry form for the $5,000 Dream Big Grow Here contest.
The Iowa Innovation Gateway is offering an opportunity for entrepreneurs and small business owners to receive a $5,000 cash grant expand to be used to help start or expand their business.
This grant, called Dream Big...Grow Here will be given to an entrepreneur or small business owner with 50 or fewer employees and is located in Jasper, Mahaska, Marion, Marshall, Poweshiek, or Story county.
From October 1 through October 15, on-line public voting will be done to identify the top business ideas. The top five vote-getters will be given the opportunity to present their ideas to a panel of judges on October 23, 2012. The panel of judges will make the final decision and will award the Dream Big...Grow Here $5,000 grant to the winner.
The Iowa Innovation Gateway invites interested entrepreneurs to learn more and apply for the Dream Big...Grow Here grant by logging on at http://iowainnovationgateway.com.
Poweshiek County businesses may call Poweshiek Iowa Development at 641.236.1626 with questions.
The Dream Big...Grow Here winner will be invited to participate in a statewide pitch-off this fall for a $10,000 grand prize judged and awarded by the sponsorship team.
To learn more about Iowa Innovation Gateway log onto their website at http://iowainnovationgateway.com.
Employees on the Move
- Linda McCargar, Administrative Assistant to the Office of the Treasurer, August 1
- Melanie Drake '92, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations for Admission Programs, Development & Alumni Relations, August 1
- Steven Gump, Assistant Director of Graduate and Professional School Advising, CDO, August 1
- Michael Benitez, Director of Intercultural Engagement and Leadership, Diversity & Inclusion, August 1
- James Lawrence, Interim Director of the Math Lab, August 1
- Jacob Madren, Intranet Applications Integrator/Developer, Information Technology Service, August 13
- Justin Hayworth, Photographer/Videographer, Office of Communications, August 14
- Christopher Reno, Art Technical Assistant, August 15
- Jennifer McGovern, Assistant in the Writing Lab and Lecturer, August 20
- Timothy Butterfield, Admission Counselor, August 20
- Chuck Eckhardt, Spencer Grill Night Supervisor, Dining Services, August 20
- Rob Cabelli, Accociate Chaplain & Rabbi, CRSSJ, August 23
- Bud Doane, Custodian, Dining Services, August 23
- Chelsea Soderblom, Library Assistant-Circulation, August 27
- Greg Turner, Mechanic I, Facilities Management, August 27
- Caroline "Carly" Lowe '12, Post-Baccalaureate Fellow, August 30
- Kirby Ziesmer, Plant Custodian, Facilities Managment, September 4
- Mark McFate, Digital Library Applications, Library, September 4
- Donnette Ellis, Administrative Support Assistant, Community Enhancement & Engagement and Investments, September 4
- Harry Kilmer, Plant Custodian, Facilities Management, September 10
- Paige Everly, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations, Development & Alumni Relations, September 11
- Stacey Schmeidel, Director of Media Relations, September 17
- Carolyn Harris, Catering Coordinator, Dining Services, August 26
- Jennifer Schuur, Catering Supervisor, Dining Services, August 26
- Larissa Mottl, Center for Prairie Studies Outreach Coordinator, Biological Field Station Manager, August 15
- Fonda Benson, Catering Coordinator, Dining Services, August 17
- Katherine McClelland, Director of the Math Lab, August 31
Grinnell College Employment Opportunities
Please visit https://jobs.grinnell.edu