Processing Your Mail Quickly and Efficiently
When mail is addressed, bundled and documented accurately, it goes through the mail system more quickly. Some simple guidelines and tips to help you get your mail processed quickly and efficiently are listed below.
- Postcards, letters, large envelopes (flats) and small packages can be sent using First-Class Mail. First-Class Mail prices are based on both the shape and weight of the item being mailed. For items weighing more than 13 ounces, use Priority Mail. Visit www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/firstclassmail.htm for more information about First-Class Mail.
- If a letter is rigid, contains keys, coins, pens or other rigid contents, additional postage will apply (in addition to a standard First-Class Mail stamp).
- Sort and/or Separate -Separate International mailings and Inter-Campus mailings from other types of mail.
- Sealed Envelopes - The mail machine in Mail Services can seal #10 envelopes for you. Nest the envelopes so that the flaps are together; they may face upward or downward - just be sure the flaps nest together.
- Presealed Envelopes - Envelopes with presealed or peel-off seal flaps need to be sealed by the department before reaching the mailroom.
- Using Department Accounts - When using a department account to fund a mailing, please complete and enclose a Meter Mail Request form. Meter Mail Request forms are available from Mail Services at ext. 3421.
- International Mail - Envelopes with a "girth" and packages sent to international addresses must be accompanied by a Customs Slip. Packages that weigh less than 4 lbs. require a green Customs Slip; packages weighing 4 lbs. or more require a white Customs Slip. Mail Services can send a Custom Slip to you, by request.
- Large Mailings - Please call Mail Services a few days before sending a large mailing (1000 pieces or more) to the mailroom. This gives the staff time to schedule additional student employees in the operation. If the items are being handled by Copy Connection and delivered directly to Mail Services, please call Mail Services at ext. 3421 to let them know that a mailing will arrive in the next day/week from Copy Connection.
- End-of-day Delivery to Grinnell Post Office - The campus courier picks up items in Mail Services for delivery to the Grinnell Post Office around 3:00 p.m. most weekdays. Exceptions include holidays, closings, etc. It is important that letters and packages requiring meter postage be in the mailroom no later than 2:00 p.m. for processing and loading.