The Grinnell College Front Door (homepage) is both navigational and informational. It offers a gateway to the rest of the College website and publicizes stories about Grinnell campus life. The web audience for the Front Door includes not only the campus community, but also Grinnell townspeople, friends of the College, alumni, parents, and prospective students.
The Front Door is how Grinnell College presents itself to the world. The media relations and web teams plan and write stories for the Front Door. These appear in advance of major events on campus, to publicize College accomplishments, or to tell interesting stories about campus.
The Front Door needs your stories! If you have an idea for a story about an event, campus issue, or noteworthy individual, please contact Communication. The Front Door include news about what's going on at the College, profiles and special features. Please contact us even if you don't know whether your story is "newsworthy." Keep in mind the following:
- Graphics -- News stories on the Front Door must have a high-quality graphic (image, photo, or video) to illustrate the text. Horizontal images work best; extreme shapes don't work (height much greater than width or vice versus.) Please consider this when submitting information.
- Audience -- One of the main criteria for a story to be on the Front Door is its interest for a variety of constituencies of the College's web audience.
- Announcements and accomplishments must have a breadth of interest beyond the campus.
- If your story has a specific audience, contact media relations for help finding an appropriate place for the story on the College's website.
- Advance notice -- While advance notice is preferable, the web team tries to be flexible and may make space for stories at the last minute. Please contact web services 3-4 weeks in advance of your event to best promote it via the web.
- Offbeat stories -- Grinnellians are a curious lot. If you see or know of something quirky happening on campus, take a photo and let us know!