If you are contacted for an interview, keep in mind:
- Contact the communication team (x3404) before responding to the media. All media who wish to come on the Grinnell Campus should check in with us. If you have concerns about media on campus, please notify the communication team. During the evenings and weekends, please notify Security (x4600).
- You are individually responsible for what you say to media. Most reporters will not allow to you see or edit the piece before publication or broadcast.
- There is no such thing as "off the record." Speaking to the media is a choice. It is OK to say yes. It is OK to say no. It is OK to not answer a question that makes you uncomfortable, even if you have agreed to an interview.
- Before supplying information about students to a member of the media, please remember this is limited to directory information only. Members of the communication team are available to assist with preparation for interviews.
- Because they are private living spaces, residence halls are off limits to the media unless a written exception has been made by Student Affairs and the communication team (a staff member is required to accompany the media in this situation). Please do not invite media into residence halls or College-owned houses. If a member of the media is in the residence halls, please call Security (x4600).
- Most other buildings on campus, such as the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center, are public spaces. Members of the media are allowed in those public spaces. Media are frequently accompanied by a member of the communication team.