The Strand 3 Theatre
The Strand 3 Theatre is a great venue for special film showings that you'd like to make available to the general public. This historic theatre was preserved, renovated and expanded in 2003 through a collaborative effort between a group of local investors, private donors who chose to "buy a seat" to see the old theatre restored, and the City of Grinnell. The theatre is locally owned by the Strand LLC, a specially-formed company comprised of local investors, of which Grinnell College is proud to be a part. The theatre is managed by Fridley Theatres, an Iowa family-owned business.
Any special showing must be a Grinnell College sponsored event. That is, sponsored by a college department or program - not an individual.
The theatre features three auditoriums seating 131, 118 and 86 guests respectively. Auditorium 3 (86 seats) can be rented for special showings for Grinnell College films.
Planning and Scheduling
- Advance Notice/Approval. Availability is determined primarily by existing bookings and their respective contracts with the film companies. ***Please be advised that Fridley needs a mininum 3 week notice before a showing and all dates must be approved by Fridley Theatres before being finalized.
- Film Drop-Off/Pick-Up. Films require advance preparation. Drop off 35 mm film or DVD to the manager at the Strand at least 3 days before date of viewing.
- Special shows are limited to the school year -- summer is reserved for industry new releases.
- Monday-Wednesday: anytime
- Thursdays: unavailable
- Morning-1:30 pm
- 2:00-4:00 pm
- 4:30-6:45 pm
- Sunday: after 4:15 pm
- Auditorium Rental Price:
- $50 for 35 mm films. Renter responsible for renting their own film and purchasing copy rights for a public viewing.
- $250 for digital format. Rental fee includes set-up and tear-down of Fridley Theatre digital equipment and auditorium rental. Renter responsible for renting their own DVD and purchasing copy rights for a public viewing.
Fridley Theatres is able to advertise the special show on the Fridley Theatre website and with a movie poster at the Strand. Please provide a PDF of the poster/flyer to email@example.com for website advertising and drop off poster/flyer at the theatre for display.
Concession stand will be open for all attendees.
All inquiries for movie dates can be submitted via email to Alison Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. From there, Alison will get approval from the Fridley Theatres corporate office. For any other questions, please feel free to contact Monica Chavez-Silva in the office of Community Enhancement & Engagement.