Helping Students Make a Difference in our Community
Grinnell College students make Grinnell and its surrounding area a better place through their dedication to volunteerism and community outreach. The Office of Community Enhancement and Engagement runs several programs designed to facilitate this involvement and recognize the achievements of students in giving back to our local community.
- Apprenticeships in Nonprofit Management. The Apprenticeships represent a collaboration between Community Enhancement & Engagement and five local nonprofits. The program is designed to advance the work of the host organizations, improve inter-agency connections, and provide a paid professional development opportunity for students.
- Volunteer Initiative Program (VIP) for Students. The Volunteer Initiative Program encourages students to volunteer in those projects that they feel most passionate about while allowing them to direct some of the College's contributions at the same time.
Breaking "The Bubble"
Too often, Grinnell students tell us that they wish they'd gotten off campus more often before their last year. A small community like Grinnell depends on the energy, vitality (and spending!) of students as well as year-round residents. Let us know if you have a great idea for encouraging students to explore the town. Some efforts supported by this office include:
- Free access to the City Pool. Students staying in Grinnell over the summer just show a current student ID for free admission to the Grinnell Mutual Family Aquatic Center. More information about the pool is located at: http://www.grinnelliowa.gov/index.aspx?nid=161
- Discounted Admission to the Strand Theater. Students, faculty and staff can purchase discounted Strand Theater movie passes at the Spencer Grill, the downtown Pioneer Bookshop and the Bookstore on campus. For current movies and cinema information, visit: http://fridleytheatres.com/grinnell.html
- Shuttles Around Town. Don't have a car? Need to go to Wal-Mart or explore downtown in inclement weather? During the fall and spring semesters, a "People Rides" mini-van runs through town with stops at the JRC. Tickets can be purchased at Security for $1/ride.
- Buy Local Shopping Guide. Together with the Chamber of Commerce, we've developed a list of "back-to-school" items that students can buy right here in Grinnell. By shopping local, you help support our rural economy.
- Drawings for Free Theater Tickets. The college is a regular supporter of local school and Arts Council productions by purchasing groups of tickets which we make available to students, faculty and staff with drawings. The tickets always go fast, and students seem to enjoy the opportunity to get off campus.
- Student Perspective Walking Tour of Downtown Grinnell. This brochure was used on Family Weekend 2012 to provide parents with a student perspective of downtown Grinnell: http://www.grinnell.edu/files/walking_tour_student_perspective_handbook.pdf
- Living Off-Campus: A Resource Guide for Grinnell College Students. This brochure will serve as a resource for all students who are considering Living off campus: A resource Guide for Grinnell College Students.