Poweshiek Iowa Development (POW I-80) Apprenticeship
Poweshiek Iowa Development, referred to as Pow I-80, is housed in the Community Center in downtown Grinnell. Pow I-80 is a countywide economic development organization established in 2004. Poweshiek Iowa Development is over 70 shareholders strong and includes support from all seven incorporated cities, Poweshiek County, and the local business and industry community. Pow I-80 offers comprehensive assistance and connections to resources to businesses at every stage of development and growth. Our services are designed to streamline doing business in Poweshiek County.
Pow I-80 oversees the Greater Grinnell Development Corporation, a for-profit development corporation which facilitates the industry park in south Grinnell. Pow I-80 also administers a loan fund for new or expanding businesses in Poweshiek County.
Pow I-80 is currently exploring a net zero energy housing development in Grinnell and exploring a possible million dollar plus renovation for several downtown facades. Additional information about this organization is available at the Pow I-80 website.
This Apprentice will serve as a Project Coordinator. Specific job responsibilities will include:
- This position will play a strong role in coordinating an anticipated $1.5 million downtown renovation project in Grinnell. State application due in January 2014.
- This position will play a strong role in pursuing the development of a net zero energy housing development in Grinnell. This is the first project of this sort in Iowa.
- Help with the planning and staffing of Educational Luncheons, Seminars, and Business Trade Shows.
- Assisting in writing and editing sales and marketing materials, which include articles, presentations, and other pieces.
- Working closely with local radio stations, newspapers and other media outlets in issuing press releases, and possibly partake in an interview.
- Basic office duties; answer phones and greet clients.
- Writing blogs and news updates to website (www.powi80.com).
- Writing articles for the quarterly E-Newsletter.
- Updating and managing database of available buildings and sites.
- Conduct onsite interviews with CEO's of major employers for an existing industry visit.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent written and computer skills. Must have knowledge of Excel, Word, and Publisher. Must have knowledge of creating labels, name badges, and mail merge.
- Website maintenance experience is a plus.
- Work well with broad spectrum of the public.
- Ability to work on highly confidential projects.
- Work independently with supervision.
- Must be very responsible and dependable.
- Ability to be flexible doing creative projects as well as mundane work.
- Reliable transportation is helpful but not required.