Chamber of Commerce Apprenticeship
The Grinnell Area Chamber of Commerce is an active non-profit agency committed to growing and developing the local economy. The Chamber operates a Convention and Visitors Bureau charged with marketing Grinnell as a Destination to potential visitors, as well as a visitor and information center that acts as the city’s front door and communication hub. The Chamber is charged with recruiting smart ventures that round out the town’s retail mix and with encouraging local spending. The Chamber coordinates major city events that both encourage outsiders to visit Grinnell, and provide venues for fun and entertainment for its residents. The Chamber facilitates collaborative marketing and publicity opportunities within its membership. The Chamber is working on a major housing initiative designed to grow Grinnell’s workforce and workers-as-residents population. Additional information about the chamber can be found at the Chamber of Commerce website.
The Chamber of Commerce apprentice should have an enthusiasm for economic development and a desire to serve the greater good, as well as the ability to articulate the value of the Chamber of Commerce and Grinnell as a destination with clarity and passion by assisting in the overall strategic planning and implementation of chamber events and communications, as well as raising funds and solicit memberships to help the organization grow while serving the needs of existing members. Specific responsibilities include:
- Write and edit press releases, hub articles, e-blasts, facilitate advertising and community guide content, radio copy etc.
- Manage student booth at the Chamber’s retail incubator.
- Assist the public as a visitor center ambassador.
- Perform graphic design functions, manage web content, hub newsletter, visitor guide, social networking, email blasts, and member marketing support programs.
- Provide office support answering phones.
- Assist in the coordination of events.
- Assist members in fully engaging in chamber benefits, and collaborative advertising endeavors; champion new initiatives to support member businesses and organizations.
- Populate content pages on the chamber/visitor website including community calendar, member and community links, home page, event information, virtual
- Engage in research, marketing, social networking, public relations, and organizational efficiency projects.
- Exceptional interpersonal/customer service, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Highly proficient computer and technology skills; graphic design, social networking, digital marketing and web content management experience.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced team environment.
- An enthusiasm for economic development and a desire to serve the greater good, as well as the ability to articulate the value of the Chamber of Commerce and Grinnell as a Destination with clarity and passion, a huge plus.
- Strong writing and research skills a must, proficient with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office preferred.
- Willingness to work evening and night time hours to coordinate and staff public events.