Poweshiek Iowa Development (POW I-80) Apprenticeship
POW I-80, housed in the Community Center in downtown Grinnell, is the economic development organization for the city of Grinnell and Poweshiek County. POW I-80 works closely with the county's seven incorporated municipalities, the county government, and the county's nonprofit and commercial interests to facilitate development in communities and along the interstate corridor, with a focus on industrial and commercial development, business retention and expansion, and assistance to startups.
POW I-80 oversees the Grinnell Renaissance Board, which administers façade improvements and beautification projects in downtown Grinnell. POW I-80 also performs clerical administration for the Greater Grinnell Development Corporation, a for-profit development corporation which facilitates the industry park in south Grinnell. POW I-80 also administers a loan fund for new or expanding businesses in Poweshiek County. Additional information about this organization is available at the POW I-80 website.
This Apprentice will serve as a Marketing Coordinator. Specific job responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with and attending Board of Director Meetings.
- Developing marketing pieces such as brochures, flyers, registration forms and invitations.
- Helping with the planning and staffing of Educational Luncheons, Seminars, and Business Trade Shows.
- Assisting in writing and editing sales and marketing materials, which include articles, presentations, and other pieces.
- Working closely with local radio stations, newspapers and other media outlets in issuing press releases, and possibly partake in an interview.
- Attending Grinnell Renaissance meetings (7:00 am once a month)
- Basic office duties; answer phones and greet clients.
- Writing blogs and news updates to website (www.powi80.com).
- Writing articles for the quarterly E-Newsletter.
- Updating and managing database of available buildings and sites.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent written and computer skills. Must have knowledge of Excel, Word, and Publisher. Must have knowledge of creating labels, name badges, and mail merge.
- Website maintenance experience is a plus.
- Work well with broad spectrum of the public.
- Ability to work on highly confidential projects.
- Work independently with supervision.
- Willingness to work some evenings and early mornings.
- Must be very responsible and dependable.
- Ability to be flexible doing creative projects as well as mundane work.
- Reliable transportation is helpful but not required.