Public Events Series
Each year Grinnell College hosts several major performances of significant cultural import. The Committee for Public Events, a body composed of both faculty and students, selects between four and six noted performers to visit Grinnell.
Recent performers include:
- Simon Estes
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band
- Bread and Puppet Theatre
- Esperanza Spalding
Ticket Distribution Policy
Performances are free, but tickets are required. Tickets are available to the public beginning three to four business days prior to the performance (look at specific event to determine date) and are distributed until no tickets remain. Tickets are distributed from the box office in the Bucksbaum Center for the Arts at the corner of 6th and Park in Grinnell. Tickets are free to those present at the box office during open hours between noon and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone reservations are not accepted, though you may call the box office at 641-269-4444 during open hours to determine if tickets are still available. A limited number of tickets are also available beginning at noon on the first distribution date from the Pioneer Bookshop in downtown Grinnell.
- The Second City: Sept 29, 2012, Harris Center Concert Hall. Tickets available Sept 26.
- Des Moines Symphony Orchestra: Oct 1, 2012, Herrick Chapel. Tickets available Sept. 26.
- Ti-Coca and Wanga Neges: Oct 9, 2012, Herrick Chapel. Tickets available Oct 4.
- Bluegrass Mass (Monroe Crossing): Nov 18, 2012 at 2 p.m. Sebring-Lewis. Tickets available Nov 14.
- Ninety Miles: Dec 6, 2012, Herrick Chapel. Tickets available Dec 3.
- Michael Mao Dance: Jan 30, 2013. Roberts Theater, Bucksbaum Center. Tickets available Jan 28.
- Anonymous 4: Feb 11, 2013. Herrick Chapel. Tickets available Feb 6.
The College is also a site for the Metropolitan Opera Live in HD, which is coordinated but not sponsored by Public Events. See the 2012-13 Metropolitan Opera Schedule for details.
2012-13 Contacts for Public Events Committee
- John Rommereim, Chair: Faculty, staff and student suggestions should be directed to the chair.
- Rachel Bly, Ex Officio: All agents should contact Rachel for information.
- Teresa McCall, Committee Assistant: General questions and agent inquiries.