Here are the basic steps in planning a one-day or multi-day event at Grinnell College. As always, we encourage you to contact Conference Operations and Events during any and all stages of organizing your event.
- Send your tentative schedule. When you have a general idea of when you would like your event to take place and an idea of the scope, communicate with our office. We will assist you by listing space availability and possible schedule blocks for your event.
- Decide on a space. What types of spaces do you need for your event? Once you detail your spatial requirements, Conference Operations and Events staff will suggest the best spaces to suit your needs. An example schedule is especially helpful to us. Grinnell College has a wide range of playing fields, conference rooms, concert spaces, theatres, and banquet halls. Be sure to peruse the Photo Gallery of Venues for ideas.
- Describe your needs. Time and place are vital to your planning -- but also consider:
What will your event participants eat? Grinnell College Dining and Catering Services provides all food for on-campus events. There is much variation in menu and presentation. You can opt to use our campus dining hall, snacks/meals from Dining Services, or more formal Catering Services.
- A.V. needs
Grinnell College boasts a top-of-the-line Audio-Visual Center, equipped with the latest gear. Contact our office to ensure we have the equipment you need. If we don't have a particular item, we may be able to rent it for you.
Dormitories on campus are available for event participants. There are over 300 beds in clean, air-conditioned facilities with ID card-secured doors. Additional rooms are available in non-air conditioned spaces. A campus guest house and limited suite-style housing may be perfect for your special guests.
If you have special requests, such as tents or dance floors, Conference Operations is happy to work with our vendors so you don't have to. Just let us know!
- Tour the space. The best way to be confident that you will have the event you envision is to tour the space with a Conference Operations representative. If the space you originally pictured is not perfect, we can show you several other options.
- Get a proposal. Once we know which spaces you prefer for which pieces of your event, we'll submit a proposal to you with a cost estimate. When spaces are finalized, you will receive a contract from the College.