Summary of the Curriculum Committee's 2002/03 Resolutions Concerning MAPS
The committee discussed, sought advice from divisions and approved several clarifications and modifications regarding MAPs.
- Each segment of a MAP project will have its own grade.
- MIP 299s and MAP 499s are to be excluded in the 10-credit limit for the number of independent credits that can be earned in any one department toward satisfaction of graduation requirements.
- A MAP project should always start with 4 credits and then could be followed with a 2 credit MAP but a MAP project should not start with a 2 credit MAP.
- Regarding an exception to the rule that the only 2 credits MAPs permitted are follow-ups to 4 credits MAPs:
- All MAPs, with the exception of follow-up MAPs, must be at least 4 credits. Follow-up MAPs may be 2 credits. On those occasions when the MAP director can show that two 2-credit segments of a MAP taken over two semesters best meet the research requirements of the project, she or he should speak with the Associate Dean regarding an exception. In such cases, the student would enroll in a 397 for the first 2 credits of work, and then would enroll in a 499 for the following 2 credits of work in the subsequent semester.
- A two-part application process for summer MAPs with two deadlines. The first deadline for Part A/B will be the first Monday after spring pre-registration but if the faculty mentor approves, the deadline for part B can be moved to the second Monday after Memorial Day. This year the first deadline was May 5 and the second will be June 9, 2003.
- In order to protect faculty workloads and the integrity of the quality of the experience, the committee approved the following regarding the limitation of the number of MAPs that any faculty member can direct and receive credit for during any given term or summer:
- Faculty directors are limited to no more than six individual MAP students or eight students if they are organized into no more than three common (group) projects, during the summer or any term where the faculty member is teaching one or fewer courses.
- Faculty directors are limited to no more than 2 MAPs during a regular academic term when the faculty member is teaching two or more regular courses.
- Faculty directors are limited to no more than 3 MAPs during a regular academic term in which the faculty member is teaching two or more regular courses, and when the MAP students are pursuing a common project.
- A faculty member may not receive more than one course of teaching credit for MAPs in any semester or summer.