ITS's planning and initiatives are derived from the ITS Mission and Vision Statements and the College's overall Strategic Plan. The ITS Mission is to work in partnership with the faculty to make Grinnell College a leader among liberal arts colleges in the application of information technology to teaching, research, and scholarship. The ITS Mission is also to work in partnership with other administrative offices to implement efficient and cost-effective administrative processes and information systems (From Trustee Presentation, 9/30/05).
ITS seeks to advance the College's Strategic Plan, especially Strategies 1-3 from the Plan (May, 2005), to:
- a) "Increase the emphasis on inquiry-based learning and broaden our liberal arts curriculum,"
- b) "Foster student, faculty, and staff sense of ambition, adventure, and well-being,"
- c) "Advance Grinnell College as a more diverse, robust intellectual community."
Faculty, staff and students have computing systems that are easy to use, powerful, flexible, and reliable and which can connect to campus and internet based systems and resources with high bandwidth capabilities. Campus-wide systems offer the services desired by the wide variety of users at Grinnell and these services are reliable, secure and have high availability. In order to reach our mission ITS must ensure that:
- a) Grinnell College is well-connected externally and internally,
- b) that Grinnellians have access to the best software tools running on powerful systems,
- c) Grinnellians receive the training and support needed to make them successful, and that
- d) Grinnell's systems are as secure as possible.
To these ends, Grinnell will continue or initiate new operational initiatives in these four areas: Campus IT Connections, Software and Hardware Systems, Support and Training, and Security.