Academic Computing Lab Reservation Policy
Policy for non-ITS use of selected microcomputer labs during the academic year (as recommended by the Academic Computing Committee, 4/17/95, and with modifications by ACC, 2/13/97)
This policy governs computing areas of the PC Instructional Lab (ARH 124), Science General Computing Lab (Science 2231) and the Younker Memorial Computing Area (YMCA). All lab use must conform to the Grinnell College Information Technology Services Academic Computer Use Policies.
User Consultants will not be provided for reserved labs. Instructors may choose to hire assistants from their own budgets. The User Consultants responsibility regarding the lab is to clear the lab of regular users before the reserved time.
Due to high student use during "crunch" times, Instructional Labs may not be reserved during final examination week. The weeks immediately preceding mid-semester break and preceding final examination week the labs will only be available for course related instruction and only from the hours of 8 am to 4:15 pm.
Individuals wishing to reserve computing facilities must post notification of the reservation at the reserved lab at least 24 hours in advance of the date and time of which the lab is reserved. A schedule will be posted at the beginning of each semester listing the times of classes that meet regularly in the computing facilities.
Lab reservations fall into two categories, Course Related Instruction and Public Instruction:
- Microcomputer labs may be reserved for course-related instruction for the hours that fall between the building's regularly scheduled lab opening time and 4:15pm, Monday through Friday.
- Reservations for course-related instruction may be made by faculty and staff of the College.
- Reservations for the ARH Instructional Computing Lab for course-related instruction will be made by contacting the Office of the Registrar.
- The course instructor or assistant must be present in the lab during reserved times. Reservations for the YMCA Macintosh Computing Area for course-related instruction will be made by contacting ITS.
- Labs may be reserved for public instruction between 4:15pm and regularly scheduled building close time, Monday through Friday, and during regular lab hours on Saturday and Sundays.
- No lab shall be reserved for more than two hours on any single day, or more than three days in any week, or for more than thirty hours in any given semester.
- Reservations for public instruction may be made by Grinnell College faculty, staff and recognized campus organizations.
- Reservations will be made on a first come, first served basis.
- The instructor or an assistant must be present in the lab till the end of use.
- Reservations for the purpose of public instruction will be made by contacting ITS.