Every student in college-owned housing may use CallPilot, the college voice messaging system, and have a private mailbox assigned. As soon as you subscribe, voice messaging starts by answering callers with a standard greeting and storing their messages for you.
Important: Beginning in the fall semester of 2010, student voice mailboxes will not be preassigned prior to arrival on campus. Students living in college housing who wish to use the CallPilot voice messaging system will need to request that their voice mailbox be created prior to subscribing to voice mail.
To request that a voice mailbox be created, you will need to go to the ITS business office on the lower level of the Forum and request voice mail service. To complete a request to create the mailbox, you will need:
- to present your student ID card,
- to provide the dorm room number
- to know the four-digit telephone extension for that room, and
- to know the number of occupants of the room.
Upon verification that the information is correct, voice mailboxes will be created for each occupant of the room within one business day. You will be notified by email when the mailbox has been created and is available for subscription.
When you use voice messaging for the first time, you will be required to set a new password and to record your name.
Multiple Voice Mailboxes for Multiple-Occupancy Rooms
The number of voice mailboxes allocated to a residence hall room telephone is based upon room occupancy. A single room will have a single mailbox assigned. A double is assigned two mailboxes; a triple three mailboxes; a quad, four mailboxes, etc.
Mailbox numbers are based upon the telephone extension for the room plus an additional digit indicating the second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth mailbox under that extension. For example, if the room is a single and the extension for that room is 3456, the single voice mailbox number is 3456. If the room is a double and the extension is 4567, there will be two voice mailboxes available: 4567 and 45672. For a triple with extension 9876 the three voice mailboxes are 9876, 98762 and 98763. For the largest shared telephones on campus, a total of six mailboxes are available.
Selection and assignment of mailboxes on an extension is not done automatically. The occupants of the room can select any of the mailbox numbers available to that telephone extension. You should arrange with your roommates which mailbox numbers will be used by whom.
Except for single-occupancy rooms, voice messaging on the room's extension will not accept messages until at least one voice mail user subscribes to a mailbox. In other words, no messages can be left until at least one occupant of the room subscribes to a mailbox.
The order of subscribing to the mailboxes does matter. The first mailbox subscribed will be in position 1 of the menu played for callers who are forwarded to voice mail. The second mailbox subscribed will be in menu position two, and so on. However, if only one mailbox in the group is subscribed, it will be the only option for callers to leave a message until the second, third, etc., mailbox users subscribe.
The initial password for a mailbox is the number "1" plus the mailbox number. From the example above, for the double with two mailboxes 4567 and 45672, the initial passwords would be 14567 and 145672, respectively.
Setting up Voice Mailboxes (can be done from any telephone)
- Dial the CallPilot access number (4316) from your room phone or any campus telephone. You may also access voice mail from an off-campus phone by calling 269-4316.
- You will be prompted by the CallPilot attendant to enter the mailbox number. Enter the four- or five-digit number for the mailbox you plan to use, and then press the # key.
- You will be prompted by the CallPilot attendant to enter your mailbox password. Enter the password, and then press the # button. (Hint: The initial password for a mailbox is the number "1" plus the mailbox number.)
- The CallPilot attendant will step you through changing your mailbox password. Your new password must be from four to 16 digits in length. You will be asked to enter the password followed by the number sign. You will be prompted to confirm the change by entering the new password a second time followed by the number sign. The attendant will either confirm that the password has been changed or will step you through the process again.
- Next, the attendant will instruct you to record your name. Record your name at the prompt and press the # button. The CallPilot attendant will provide options for you to review the recording. When you are satisfied with your name as recorded, press # button to save your name.
- Press 83 to exit CallPilot. You mailbox is now configured and ready to receive messages.
For information on voice messaging features for students, see the CallPilot Features page.
For more about using voice messaging and voice messaging commands, see the Using CallPilot page.