The Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) in Salamanca
- The IES in Salamanca offers students of high-intermediate or advanced level in Spanish the opportunity to build on their language skills while taking a wide range of courses in Spanish offered at both the IES Center and the famous Universidad de Salamanca.
- The program provides courses in Art History, Economics, History, Spanish Language and Literature, Political Science, Religion, and Sociology, focusing on Iberian culture, comparative Mediterranean studies, and comparative studies of Spain and Latin America. Courses at the Universidad de Salamanca provide an opportunity to take classes together with Spanish students, and advanced-level students are required to enroll for at least one university course alongside their studies at the IES Center; students at the intermediate level are encouraged to do so as well. University courses are available in all major areas, including Anthropology, Art, Hsitory, Linguistics, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science , Psychology, and Sociology, as well as Biology and Biochemistry. Each semester, selected students studying the European Union may participate in the Model European Union, which has been held in various IES Center locations, including Nantes, France and Berlin, Germany.
- Various internships are available for advanced students of Spanish in education and social services.
- Field trips and cultural events are provided to such locations as Segovia, Toledo, and Madrid; the fall program features travel to Portugal. Optional visits are offered to such places as Granada, Seville, Barcleona.
- Housing is offered either in homestays or student residence halls, available only to full-year students.
- Eligibility: Spanish 285. It is strongly recommended however that all students have 300-level Spanish whether going in the spring or fall. Priority is given to students who have studied Spanish during the semester preceding the program. Course in European history or culture recommended.
International Education of Students (IES) | 800-995-2300 | Fax: 312-944-1448 | Susan Hansen: firstname.lastname@example.org