The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) in Santiago and Valparaíso
- The CIEE in Chile operates at three host institutions: two in Santiago, the Universidad de Chile, the country's preeminent public university, and the Pontífica Universidad Católica de Chile, the leading private university; and at the Universidad Católica de Valparaíso.
- During a two week pre-session Language and Culture course for program participants, students take intensive Spanish while receiving an introduction to the country, culture and academic program. Afterwards, registration takes place for direct enrollment into courses at either or both of the host institutions, where students take courses alongside their Chilean peers. Participants may elect to continue their Spanish anguage study in a special advanced course offered alongside university courses.
- University courses in Santiago are offered in such areas as history, philosophy, political science, international relations, anthropology, women's studies, urban studies, fine art, psychology, and literature. In Valparaíso, the most appropriate departments for study-abroad students are literature, history, oceanography and psychology; political science, anthropology, and sociology are not available.
- The program provides excursions to sites of historical and cultural interest in Santiago and field trips further afield in the country.
- Housing is in homestays, which include three meals a day.
- Eligibility: Third-year Spanish.
Council on International Educational Exchange | 207-553-7600 | Fax: 207-553-4299 | firstname.lastname@example.org