The Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) in Quito, Ecuador
- IES in Quito, Ecuador offers students two options: the Area Studies and Language Program and the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) Direct Enrollment Program.
- The first focuses on the ecological and ethnic diversity of Ecuador, featuring an IES core course, a Spanish course at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador (PUCE), as well as a selection of courses in a wide range of disciplines from IES, PUCE, or the Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales (FLACSO), an international graduate school devoted to the Social Sciences.
- Field study is incorporated in all course work. PUCE courses include offerings in Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Health Sciences, while FLACSO provides coursework in Anthropology, Economics, Gender Issues, Public Policy, Political Science, Indigenous Studies, and Environmental Studies.
- The second option, the USFQ program, entails full-time direct enrollment at the university in classes alongside Ecuadorians, where students may choose from a wide range of courses in the Humanities, Social Studies, and Natural Sciences, including Music and Fine Arts. USFQ has a well-developed Environmental Studies program and operates two biological field stations in the Galápagos and Amazon basin.
- Internships are available in areas such as business, education, government and politics, public policy, science, and social organizations. Field Trips are organized as part of courses and to cultural events in and around Quito. IES subsidized trips are offered to such locations as the Galápagos, the Amazon, and the Andes.
- Housing is provided in homestays.
- Eligibility: Spanish 285 for Area Studies and Language Program: 300-level Spanish for USFQ Direct Enrollment Program. Priority given to students who have studied Spanish during the semester preceding the program. Latin American studies courses recommended.
International Education of Students (IES) | 800-995-2300 | Fax: 312-944-1448 | Susan Hansen: firstname.lastname@example.org