Street address: 1426 Park Street
Cowles Hall is located on North Campus near the Physical Education Complex and Harris Center. It was made possible by a gift from the Cowles Foundation in 1941. President Samuel Stevens anticipated the need for better facilities during World War II and quickly built Cowles Hall and Darby Gym in 1942 to accommodate the Officers' Candidate School. It was not available for civilian use until 1945.
With the completion of the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center and its new dining facilities, Cowles and Quad dining halls were no longer needed. Cowles dining was retrofitted to provide additional housing. Cowles has traditional residence hall style housing and a lounge west of the main entrance, with apartment-style housing to the east. The apartments include double-height living rooms, bedroom lofts, and a hallway looking over the living space. Two apartments have first floor bedrooms and accessible kitchens and bathrooms. The Des Moines architectural firm Herbert Lewis Kruse & Blunk designed the retrofit, and completion of the project was done by Neumann Design Build.
Residence Life Coordinator: Kady Shea