Bomb Threats and Suspicious Objects
It is possible, although highly unlikely, that someone on campus may receive a threatening telephone call, letter, or a suspicious parcel, or discover a suspicious object somewhere on the campus grounds.
If You Receive a Telephone Bomb Threat
- Remain calm.
- Listen carefully. Be polite and show interest. Try to keep caller talking so that you can gather more information.
- Use the Explosive Device Data Record on the back of this page to question the caller in a polite and non interrogative manner. Use any means to prolong the conversation. This will provide a better chance to identify the voice and hopefully obtain additional information about the device, the validity of the threat, or the identity of the caller.
- Upon completion of the call, IMMEDIATELY notify Campus Safety and Security Department at extension 4600 and complete the Explosive Device Data Record as soon as possible while the incident is fresh in your memory.
- If a threat has been received by another individual and he/she is relaying the information to you, use the Explosive Device Data Record to get as much information for them as possible.
Note: A SUSPICIOUS item is defined as anything that is out of place and cannot be accounted for or any item suspected of being an explosive device.
If You Receive a Written Threat or a Suspicious Parcel, or If You Find a Suspicious Object Anywhere on Campus:
- Keep anyone from handling it or going near it.
- Do not use portable radio equipment within 100 feet of the suspicious item. The signal from the device may interfere with any electronic detonation device.
- Notify Campus Safety and Security Department at extension 4600 IMMEDIATELY.
- Promptly write down everything you can remember about receiving the letter or parcel or finding the object. The information will be needed by the safety and security officer.
- Remain calm. Do not discuss the threat with other staff members.
- Be guided by Campus Security or police instructions.
Explosive Device Data Record
QUESTIONS TO ASK:
- When is the explosive device set to explode?
- Where is it right now?
- What does it look like?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the explosive device?
- What is your address?
- What is your name?
EXACT WORDING OF THE THREAT:
Sex of caller:_______________ Voice inflections (notable accent):________________________________
Age:__________ Length of call:___________ Number at which call was received:___________________ Time:_________________________ Date:_____________________________________________________
CALLER'S VOICE: __________ Calm __________Nasal __________Angry _________Stutter ________Excited
_________Lisp__________ Slow __________ Raspy __________ Rapid ___________Deep ___________ Soft
________Ragged ________Loud __________ Clearing Throat _________ Laughter_________ Deep Breathing
__________Crying ___________Cracking Voice __________ Normal _________ Disguised _________ Distinct
___________ Accent ___________ Slurred ____________Familiar
BACKGROUND SOUNDS: ___________ Street noises___________ Animal Noises ___________ House noises
_______ Voices_______ PA system_______Static _______Music _______Clear _______Office machinery
__________Phone Booth__________Factory or construction or machinery __________Other
THREAT LANGUAGE: _________ Well spoken__________ Incoherent __________ Educated__________ Taped
__________ Foul__________ Irrational __________Message read by caller
IMMEDIATLEY CALL CAMPUS SAFETY AND SECURITY DEPARTMENT AT EXTENSION 4600
Give responding officers this sheet.
Date:_______________________________________ Phone number:__________________________________ Name:_________________________________________________________________
Position / title:___________________________________________________________