The Grinnell College Office of Safety and Security would like to remind Grinnell College students, faculty, and staff to practice good personal safety at all times. The Grinnell College community should remember to take the following safety precautions:
- Travel with friends-stay in groups. There is safety in numbers.
- Park vehicles and/or walk in well-lighted areas.
- Report all suspicious activity to the Grinnell Police Department and the Grinnell College Department of Safety and Security
- Advise friends where you are or where you will be going
- Take advantage of the escort service provided by the Department Safety and Security by calling 269-4600. The service is provided 24 hours a day and is available for travel to anywhere in Grinnell.
Staying Alert, Staying Safe
The more aware a person is, the less vulnerable they will be.
- Don't wear headphones while walking or jogging. If worn, it makes it harder to hear approaching vehicles or attackers.
- If jogging, run on the left side of the road to observe approaching traffic.
- Practice identifying characteristics of strangers - identifying features, including clothes and habits. Also practice memorizing vehicle license plates.
Crime is unfortunately present in any community and does occur on the Grinnell College campus. If precautions are taken, many incidents can be prevented. Prevention Tips:
- Drink Responsibly. Don't do anything with alcohol or drugs that could compromise your abilities or judgment.
- If walking (especially after dark) from place to place on campus or from a downtown establishment, travel in pairs or groups. Walk in well lit areas. Do not travel alone. Call and let friends know that you are leaving and when to expect you back. If leaving a family residence or a home of a friend, call them when you arrive safely back to campus. Pay attention and report unusual behaviors or suspicious people. On campus call Security 4600. Off campus dial 911
- Have a plan and trust your instincts.
- Do NOT go anywhere with someone you do not know. Never go to a secondary location with someone you don't know and TRUST.
- If a suspicious person (or someone you know) is attempting to take you from your location ATTRACT attention: yell, scream, and do what is necessary to get others to come to your assistance. If able, take some type of action to free yourself.
CAMPUS PHONES: campus telephones are located throughout the campus. These phones should be utilized in an emergency situation, when you are in fear, or if you need assitance. ESCORT SERVICE: The Escort Service Program attempts to provide a safe, comfortable atmosphere to the students, faculty, and other staff of the Grinnell College community who do not wish to walk alone on campus during the evening hours. Campus Security Officers and Student Security members provide the escorts on campus. Any person requesting an escort can call the Information Desk at 4600.