Date Rape Drugs
Rohypnol: What Is It?
Rohypnol (the brand name of Flunitrazepam) is a Benzodiazapine like the tranquilizer Valium. Rohypnol has been called the "date rape drug" because of its use in sexual assaults. Rohypnol produces profound, prolonged sedation, a feeling of well being and short term memory loss. Sedation occurs 20 to 30 minutes following administration of just 2 mg of the drug and lasts from eight to 24 hours. Since March of 1996, United States Customs has made it illegal to bring this foreign-based prescription into the country as well.
In the United States, Rohypnol is commonly found in its 0.5 mg or 1.0 mg tablet form or in a 2 mg/ml solution that can be injected. It is trafficked to street dealers and college towns throughout the country. It is very cheap (a tablet can be bought for a street value of $1 to $5). It has a very innocent appearance (the small, round, white tablets which are packaged in bubble packets have a clean, pure look) and can easily be mistaken for aspirin. In some forms it is odorless, tasteless, and colorless. The manufacturer of Rohypnol has developed a new formulation, which dissolves more slowly and releases a bright blue color as it dissolves. In darker beverages the drink appears murky.
GHB: What Is It?
GHB, Gamma Hydroxybutyric Acid, is a drug that can have aphrodisiac and intoxicating effects without resulting in a hangover. It is illegal and is sometimes used as a "date rape drug." GHB used alone or with other drugs can cause seizures, insomnia, anxiety, nausea, dizziness, loss of peripheral vision, hallucinations, coma, or death.
GHB comes in a lumpy, white powder form or as a clear liquid. It can be snorted, smoked, or mixed in drinks.
GBL: What Is It?
BEWARE of the common fat burner also used as a muscle builder and sleep aid. A drug used for these purposes as well as a natural high is yet another potential "date rape drug." GBL, a dietary supplement, has been found to create similar symptoms as GHB (used for sedating a potential rape victim). The FDA recently recalled this popular dietary supplement after finding that it activates natural opium-like substances within the brain causing sedation. The result can be seizures, vomiting, slow breathing, slow heart rate, and loss of consciousness. The fact that GBL resembles GHB is noteworthy as we consider the potential dangers of being "slipped" this drug unknowingly. Under the influence of this drug, one could potentially be unaware of being a target of sexual assault.
"Date Rape Drugs" Sedative Effects
- Drunk appearance
- Muscle Relaxation
- Visual Disturbances
- Impairment of psychomotor function
- Amnesia that lasts up to 24 hours
Rohibitril (The Mexican Version of Klonepin)
- a very bitter tasting drug
- causes a very deep sleep
- usually its use is by choice
- potential for abuse as a "date rape drug" is not very high due to the noticeable taste
- approved in the U.S. as an anesthetic
- used by vets for farm animals
- usually used by choice
- potential for abuse as a "date rape drug" is not very high due to aromatic nature of the compound
- a plant source of Scopolamine, used for motion sickness
- effect is greatly potentiated when used in combination with alcohol
Safety & Reducing The Risk
- Never leave beverages unattended.
- Don't accept drinks from someone you don't know well.
- At a pub, bar, or nightclub, accept drinks only from the bartender or server.
- When drinking, keep an eye on your friends and ask them to watch out for you.
- If someone else seems extremely drunk after having only a small amount of alcohol, roofies may be involved.
Miscellaneous Prevention Resources
http://www.missouri.edu/~mopip/links.html http://foxnews.webmd.com/content/article/46/2953_536.htm?src=rss_foxnews http://www.rad-systems.com/Resources/daterapedruginfo.html http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187519,00.html http://www.coolnurse.com/date_rape.htm