During an earthquake remain calm and quickly follow the steps outlined below:
- If INDOORS seek refuge in doorways, inner hallways, basements or under a desk or table. Stay away from glass windows, shelves, and heavy equipment. Gymnasiums and auditoriums with wide-span roofs are probably unsafe.
- If OUTDOORS move quickly away from buildings, utility poles and other structures. CAUTION: Always avoid power or utility lines as they may be energized. Know your assembly points.
- If in an automobile, stop in the safest place available, preferably away from power lines and trees. Stop as quickly as safety permits, but stay in the vehicle for the shelter it offers.
- After the initial shock, evaluate the situation, and if emergency help is necessary, call campus Security at ext. 300. Protect yourself at all times and be prepared for after-shocks.
- Damaged facilities should be reported to Security at ext. 4600.
- If an emergency exists notify all building occupants.
- When the signal to evacuate is given or a fire alarm sounds walk to the nearest marked exit and ask others to do the same.
- ASSIST THE HANDICAPPED IN EXITING THE BUILDING. Remember that elevators are reserved for the handicapped persons use.
DO NOT USE ELEVATORS IN CASE OF FIRE. DO NOT PANIC