In advance, each staff member should
- Understand the evacuation plan for their area.
- Know at least two ways out of the building from their regular workspace.
- Recognize the sound of the evacuation alarm.
When you hear the evacuation alarm or are verbally told to evacuate the building
- Remain calm.
- Leave quickly.
- Try to make sure that all members of your department hear the alarm and evacuate the area.
- As you exit, quickly check nearby restrooms, copier rooms, and storage rooms for occupants who may not have heard the evacuation signal.
- If requested, accompany and assist persons with disabilities who appear to need assistance.
- Take with you essential personal items ONLY. Do not attempt to take large or heavy objects.
- Shut all doors behind you as you go. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire, smoke, and water.
- Do not use elevators.
- Proceed as quickly as possible, but in an orderly manner. Do not push or shove. Hold handrails when you are walking on stairs.
- Once out of the building, move at least 100 feet away from the structure or as instructed by campus security, police, or fire department officials.
- Return to the building only when instructed to do so by campus security, staff, police, or fire officials.
There are Campus Alert Monitors (CAN) working in the campus buildings. Please contact the Campus Safety & Security Department Crime Prevention Unit for the name of your monitor. These people have been trained on building evacuation procedures. In addition you can go to the Campus Alert Monitor Section of this Safety plan to identify your monitor.