If someone becomes ill or is injured and requires immediate assistance:
- Unless trained, do not attempt to render any first aid before trained assistance arrives.
- Before rendering any assistance, observe the individual and the surrounding areas and check for any outside substance that may pose a hazard to anyone rendering assistance (drugs, hazardous or infectious materials, etc.)
- Call extension 4600 to contact the Campus Safety and Security Department who will provide or arrange required services.
- Do not attempt to move a person who has fallen and appears to be in pain.
- Limit your communication with ill or injured person to quiet reassurances.
- After the person's immediate needs have been taken care of , remain to assist the investigating officer with pertinent information about the incident.
- If the victim is a staff member, notify the victim's supervisor or a co-worker. If the victim is a student, notify the Office of Student Affairs.
- Planning for such emergencies includes being trained in emergency first aid procedures and CPR.