Campus Parking Committee Agenda
May 7, 2003, Noon
Approval of the Parking Regulations for 2003-2004
The parking regulations were approved for the next year with the following changes:
- 4.0614 Mopeds on Grinnell College sidewalks: Moped are not allowed on sidewalks within the campus unless they are being used by college officials doing college business.
- only hang tags will be given out for the next year.
- only one hang tag will be given out per student or employee of the college. The committee discussed at the present time some people have numerous permits.
- all faculty staff will be advised that they need to re-register their vehicle by Nov. 1, 2003. The security department talked about the problems that the stickers created and a decision was made to go to hang tags only for the college
The committee approved the new parking lot expansions for the summer. These lots are
- Expand the parking area behind the Forum(approx. 12 additional spaces).
- Build a new parking area to the east of, and across the railroad tracks from, the Noyce Science Center (approx. 30 additional spaces).
- Expand the parking along the alley which is behind Grinnell House (approx. 7 additional spaces).
- Build a new parking area behind the Chrystal Center (approx. 20 additional spaces).
- Expand the parking along the alley which is behind the Preschool, several student houses, and the house currently occupied by the Office of Communication and Events(approx. 5 additional spaces).
- Expand the head in parking along 10th Avenue in front of the old Facilities Management site (approx. 5 additional spaces
A member on the committee mentioned that she was concerned about the loss of green space that the new lot behind Loose Hall would take up. This lot is being looked at as a Faculty/Staff lot with the thought of Darby Lot going away
In addition the committee approved:
- the expansion of any new parking lot in the northern part of campus near the Tennis Courts which will be constructed this summer.
- committee also commented that they felt the lot designed for the future at 9th/East Street should be looked at for this summer also.
- approved the putting in of a new student lot where the 5th residence hall is located. This will provide 64 spaces at that location
- the committee felt the college should look at long term storage parking possibly in the eastern part of town near the New FM Building.
- the committee felt the high schools students should continue to get free student parking permits when they attend classes at the college
- there was discussion about people parking in the alley behind the preschool and the problem this is causing. Briscoe will continue with discussions with the police chief about this.
- there was discussion about Faculty/Staff area on 10th Street behind Norris Hall being turned back into student parking. The faculty/Staff now have spaces up by the new power plant and there is spaces is the any permit parking area that Faculty/Staff can park in also.
Chrystal Center Visitors Parking:
- the committee talk about the visitors area behind the Chrystal Center being not full alot and it was decided that the lot will be reduced to 8 visitors spaces from 13. The spaces that will be lost can be reserved on crunch days for use by Admissions for visitors.
- It was also decided that admissions will be given temporary visitors permits to be given out to visitors using that area, and if there are not enough visitors spaces the visitors can spill over into the faculty/staff areas with the use of the temporary visitors permits.
Noon Parking Lot Meeting Discussions
The committee just talked briefly about the noon all campus parking meetings and it was mentioned by Briscoe that the minutes of the meetings is listed at the Security Department Website
New Developments after the Parking Meeting updates
It was decided by the administration that we not put in the lot at the corner of 9th/East Street this summer but wait until next year. In addition we will make the new Parking Lot behind Loose Hall a student parking lot only for one year and then when the Darby Lot comes down we will look at making it a F/S lot and build the lot at the corner of 9th/East for students.