A tornado warning is the sounding of the emergency sirens for three minutes followed by seven minutes of silence. A warning indicates a tornado has been sighted by ground observers or has appeared on radar within Poweshiek Country.
If a Tornado Warning has been issued for your area
- Stay inside and be alert for falling objects.
- Stay away from windows mirrors, glass, and unsecured objects such as filing cabinets or bookcases.
- Proceed to a below-ground-level or central hallway of the building if possible.
- Do not use elevators.
- If requested, accompany and assist persons with disabilities who appear to need assistance.
- Remain in the safe area until at least 10 minutes has elapsed without the sounding of sirens, or until the "all clear" has been given.
- Listen to weather radio.
- Planning includes identifying the appropriate place in your building to seek shelter should a tornado occur.