(All information copied from the Gates Cambridge Scholarship website.) Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost awards for full-time graduate study and research in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The purpose of the Trust is to enable Gates Cambridge Scholars from any part of the world outside the United Kingdom to benefit from education in the University of Cambridge. Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded on the following criteria
- intellectual ability
- leadership capacity
- a person's desire to use their knowledge to contribute to society throughout the world by providing service to their communities and applying their talents and knowledge to improve the lives of others
- a good fit between the abilities and aspirations of the applicant and what the University of Cambridge can offer in its graduate programme
While at Cambridge Gates Scholars pursue the full range of academic disciplines and are spread throughout all 31 Colleges. All applicants for the scholarship apply for – and must gain – admission to the University of Cambridge.
Candidates for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship:
- may be citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- may apply to study any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
- may apply to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study:
PhD (three year research-only degree)
One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree)
- must be admitted to one of the degrees above at Cambridge through the University's normal admission procedures. The Trust does not admit students.
- must be well prepared for the Cambridge course for which they are applying and must meet all of the conditions for admission specified by the University (e.g. academic, English language proficiency, if required, and any other conditions set).
- must be able to show evidence of high academic achievement, leadership potential, social commitment and a good fit with Cambridge.
- who are already studying at Cambridge are only eligible to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if they are applying for a new course of study (e.g. a one year ‘MPhil only’ student may apply for funding to continue on to the PhD). Candidates already studying at Cambridge who are not applying for a new course of study (e.g. have already started their PhD) are not eligible to be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
How to apply for a Gates Scholarship (click link for details) Information about deadlines is available from the application timetable page. The Gates Scholarship does not require institutional nomination or endorsement from Grinnell College. Although students are not required to work with advisors at Grinnell on their application, they are invited to meet with Doug Cutchins to review the opportunity offered by the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, to discuss a potential application, and to review their application materials.
If studying abroad at Cambridge interests you, you might also consider applying for the Churchill Scholarship.
All applicants are expected to adhere to these ethical guidelines.
Director of Social Commitment
Center for Religion, Spirituality, and Social Justice
1233 Park St.
Grinnell, Iowa 50112
phone: (641) 269-4408; fax: (641) 269-4321