The Boston Teacher Residency (BTR) is an innovative program in urban education that combines graduate coursework toward a Masters degree in Education with a full year of co-teaching under the guidance of an experienced Mentor Teacher before placement as a full-time teacher in the Boston Public Schools (BPS). BTR recruits talented, committed individuals of all ages and diverse backgrounds to enter a 13-month Teacher Residency modeled on a clinical teaching hospital approach; residents apply theory to practice, taking rigorous coursework and gaining extensive hands-on, practical experience in the classroom. They then continue to receive formal support and professional development during the first three years and beyond of their teaching careers. BTR's mission is to drive significant student achievement gains through the recruitment, preparation, and support of exceptional teachers in Boston.
Boston Teacher Residency (BTR)
To apply for the Boston Teacher Residency program, you must:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree by the start of the program year for which you are applying
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident
Those considering applying must submit a Prospective Applicant form to gain access to the online application.
- Co-teach with a Mentor Teacher in one of BTR's most effective urban public schools
- Take coursework taught by exceptional faculty
- Earn a M.Ed. from University of Massachusetts Boston (UMass Boston), a Massachusetts Initial Teacher license, and credit toward dual license in Special Education
- Receive a stipend of $12,100 plus health benefits during the residency year
- Receive an AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,550 to cover in full degree costs from UMass Boston
- Receive extensive support during your first three years teaching in the BPS
- Take advantage of BTR's unique tuition remission agreement- the $10,000 program tuition is fully waived after completion of a three-year teaching commitment in the Boston Public Schools
For additional information about the program and residency year, please visit: BTR- The Residency Year.