Different people have different reasons that they tutor. These include:
- helping other students
- teaching a subject to someone else helps you learn it better
- getting paid to talk about a subject that you enjoy
- a friend asked you to help them in a class that you've taken
- it's a well paying ($7.50/hour) on-campus job, with flexible hours
- you learn more about yourself and your learning style by working with someone who may learn differently
What are the qualifications for tutors?
- you must be an enrolled, full-time Grinnell College student
- you must be in good academic standing
- you must attend a tutor training session
Ok, I want to tutor - what do I do?
Faculty must recommend students to tutor within their department. Ask a faculty member to recommend you. Once our office receives recommendations, we send forms to all students who are recommended. Once you send back the form, you will be informed of training session times. Send back the form, attend a training session, and you will be put on the list of possible tutors which students receive.
Students choose their own tutors from the list which we give them. You may be contacted any time during the semester for tutoring.