Responsible for residence life, new student orientation, student conduct, DSA evaluation and assessment, and family weekend. Students can come to Travis to:
- Discuss personal concerns
- Discuss concerns about issues on campus - or ideas for improvement
- College policies
- Withdraw/transfer from the College
- Discuss ideas or concerns regarding their student experience
- To answer any questions or concern regarding the student conduct process
- Discuss college policies
- Simply say hello and introduce yourself!
Travis is a first-generation college student who has benefited greatly from a liberal arts education. His research and professional interests focus on social justice issues and creating systems of support and opportunity for marginalized students. As the dean of students at Grinnell College, he feels privileged to be working with an intellectually challenging and socially aware student body and works hard to ensure that all students feel connected to and supported by our self-governing community.
Travis completed his doctoral coursework at the University of Maryland, College Park and is completing his dissertation at Iowa State University (with an anticipated graduation date of December 2013). Travis previously worked at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and at his alma mater, St. Olaf College. He also interned at two other small private residential campuses -- Lewis & Clark College and the University of Puget Sound. Travis has worked in the following student affairs functional areas: residence life, student activities, LGBT student services, student advocacy, student conduct, academic advising, leadership development, evaluation and assessment, wellness programming (incorporating a harm reduction approach), intercultural affairs, student media, retention/enrollment management, and new student orientation.
Travis received his M.Ed. in Higher Education/Student Affairs Administration from Iowa State University in May 2001 and a B.A. in Speech/Theatre -Communication from St. Olaf College in May 1996.
Have an idea to improve campus life? Curious as to how Student Affairs can help you? Questions or concerns? Come find Travis during his office hours and have your voice heard...and enjoy a free beverage while doing so!
In an effort to be even more accessible, the following office hours have been established for the Spring 2012 term:
- Mondays from 1-2 pm in the Student Affairs Suite (JRC 310)
- Tuesdays from 10-11 am in the Student Affairs Suite (JRC 310)
- Wednesdays from 7-8 pm in the Spencer Grill
- Thursdays from 4-5 pm in the Student Affairs Suite (JRC 310)
- Fridays from 12-1 pm in the Student Affairs Suite (JRC 310)
Travis would love to meet as many students as possible in these informal settings. Please come and (re)introduce yourself and get to know each other better!
You can follow Travis on Twitter @deangreene