Home » Humanities

Humanities

Calendar Customer Code: 
HUMANITIES_DIVISION

Spanish House

 

1316 Park Street is a College-owned house. More commonly known as Spanish House, 1315 Park is one of Grinnell’s five language houses. These houses are associated with their corresponding academic department. The purpose of the language house program is to provide students who speak, or are learning to speak, another language with an environment that is conducive to learning the language, culture, and customs of the country or countries of the language. To learn more about the language house program, visit the Residence Life Language Houses page.

Each spring interested students will be able to sign up to live in Spanish House. The Spanish Assistant will always live in Spanish House and often other native speakers do so as well. Students who have been abroad or are planning to study off-campus have often taken advantage of this opportunity.
Preference to live in the house will be given to students who:

  • are Spanish majors
  • will be taking Spanish classes when living in the house
  • will be studying abroad, in a Hispanic country, after living in the house
  • are coming back from off-campus study in a Hispanic country
  • are native speakers
  • participate regularly in the activities offered by the Spanish Department and Spanish House

Carnegie Hall

Carnegie Hall, 1210 Park Street, is located north of Herrick Chapel. Dedicated June 13, 1905, the building is in modified Classical form with a low hipped roof, impressive cornice with dentils, red-brick walls, and quoins outlining window areas. The middle section of the facade is framed by two imposing pilasters with six engaged columns within the frame, the pilasters and columns all topped with Ionic capitals. A frieze surmounting the walls bears the names of some of the greats of Western civilization: Shakespeare, Dante, Homer, Plato, Michelangelo, Darwin, Goethe, Galileo, Emerson, and Caesar.

Carnegie Hall today houses classrooms and offices for Humanities faculty. At the rear of the building is the College Book Store, which was added in 1970.