The Grinnell College softball team plays on one of the premier fields in the Midwest. Highlights of the complex, opened in the spring of 2002, include a subterranean drainage system in the infield and outfield, a dirt warning track, black vinyl fencing, heated dugouts, home and visitor bull pens, a double tunnel, artificial turf-surfaced batting cage, a heated media tower and permanent bleacher seating for two hundred fans. Although not part of the current construction, field lighting is also part of the long-term plan.
Place and Community
MacEachron Field lies between the Joe Rosenfield ’25 Center and North Campus and hosts a number of weekly intramural practices and competitions. Affectionately known as Mac Field, the grassy area east of the North Campus residence halls — a popular site for intramural competition — was named for Paul MacEachron 1911, a football and basketball player. MacEachron married Helen Dunham 1911. In 1916 the MacEachrons participated in the first Grinnell-in-China program; he served as educational director. In 1922 he became the first full-time Dean of Men at the College.
This theatre was built in recognition of Hallie Flanagan Davis's (class of 1911) work. Ms. Flanagan was national director of the Federal Theatre project, among many other wonderful commitments to the theatre world. With a catwalk and tension grid combined with flexible seating and stage arrangements, the Flanagan is our most versatile theatre. The space usually seats up to 126; however, some productions require smaller seating numbers.
The Wall Performance Lab black box theatre was revamped as part of the Bucksbaum renovation and has since been used more for experimental and student work. Performances can usually seat up to 72 people.
The Roberts Theatre semi-thrust stage, seating 450, was renovated and restored under the design of Cesar Pelli and Associates (New Haven, CT). The project was completed in 2000.
For more information about the Roberts Theatre please call the Technical Director at 641-269-3130.
Darby Gymnasium is home for the Grinnell College men's and women's basketball teams, as well as the Pioneer volleyball squad. The state-of-the-art arena, which opened in 2005, seats 1,250 fans and is highlighted by a vibrant student section that is called the "Scarlet Sea."
Grinnell's state-of-the-art fieldhouse is part of the Charles Benson Bear '39 Recreation and Athletic Center, which was completed in 2010. The venue will serve athletes in multiple sports, most notably indoor track and field (Grinnell has already been awarded hosting rights for the 2012 NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Championships) and tennis. The facility serves every level of expertise - varsity competitors, intramural teams, or fitness enthusiasts. The facility features:
The sand volleyball courts are located on South Campus just east of the railroad tracks.
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Chalkboard (2)
- Computer - Mac/Windows
- Av: Data Projection
- Document Camera
- DVD/CD Player (International)
- Laptop Ready
- Wireless Handheld and Laper Microphones
- Network/Internet Access
- Projection Screen (2)
- Projector - 35mm Slide
- Sound System Interface
- Transparency Overhead Proj
- VCR (International)
- Electrical Outlets (Per Plug) (18)
- Carpet Flooring
Ward Field, now an open grassy area near the East Campus residence halls, was the site of the College's football stadium from 1911 to 1974. Ward Field itself was first used in 1893. The Ward Field football stadium was torn down in 1976 and the area was landscaped to provide one large, open area for playing fields. Ward Field also served for a time as the varsity men's soccer field.