For nearly four decades, the Scholars' Convocation series has created a common educational experience shared by the entire Grinnell College community. Established in the late 1970s in response to the college's move to an open curriculum, the accessible interdisciplinary nature of convocation offers an intellectual encounter that transcends disciplinary boundaries.
Scholars' Convocations are arranged by a faculty committee. If you are planning or are interested in planning a Scholars' Convocation, please see Scholars' Convocation Proposals.
All Scholars' Convocations are held at 11 a.m. on Thursdays throughout the academic year in the Joe Rosenfield '25 Center, Room 101, unless otherwise noted.
- Sept. 10: Rosenfield Symposium on Global Public Health, Shiriki K. Kumanyika
- Sept. 17: Michael Latham, Dean of the College
- Oct. 1: Jonathan Rose
- Oct. 29: Kecia Ali
- Nov. 5: Bob Haveman
- Nov. 19: Asif Siddiqi
- Jan. 28: Katherine Verdery
- Feb. 11: Rosenfield Symposium on Campaign Finance, Michael Beckel
- Feb. 18: Hilary Mason ‘00
- April 7: Roxane Gay
- April 21: Leila Rupp (cancelled)
- Apr. 28: Phi Beta Kappa- Larry Silver