French Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will acquire the linguistic proficiency and communicative competency (speaking and writing) to have meaningful interaction with French-speaking communities in different contexts.
College Learning Goal No. 3: Students develop the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in various modes for various purposes and audiences.
Critical Thinking and Analytical Skills
- Students will be able to use analytical language and techniques for understanding texts, images, films and other forms of cultural expression. This includes the technique of the explication de texte.
- Students will be able to create persuasive arguments (both in writing and orally), using appropriate evidence, to address particular interpretive problems situated in specific historical and cultural contexts.
College Learning Goal No. 1: Students develop creative and critical thinking skills that allow them to analyze the work of others, formulate relevant questions, and respond to those questions in a substantive way using quantitative and qualitative evidence.
Knowledge of the Cultures and Histories of the French-Speaking World
- Students will be able to discuss key authors, genres, ideas, texts and images from a variety of historical periods.
- Students will be able to discuss the identities and cultures of diverse areas of the French-speaking world.
College Learning Goal 6: Students pursue a chosen field of study in depth and develop understanding of a core body of knowledge in that field as well as the ability to employ modes of inquiry appropriate to that field.
- Students will gain a new sense of personal identity in relationship to the French language and the French-speaking world.
College Learning Goal 2: Students develop a sense of social responsibility and fairness that guides them in their personal and professional lives.
College Learning Goal No 5: Students develop the ability to approach a question from multiple perspectives, representing a diversity of ideas and experiences.
Arabic Program Learning Outcomes
- Grammatical accuracy in oral and written expression
- Oral comprehension skills appropriate to their course level
- Oral proficiency appropriate to their course level
- Argumentative reasoning in written work appropriate to their course level
Outcomes approval date unknown; Webpage updated 11/10/2017