The primary goal of the Reading Laboratory is to support your academic success at Grinnell.
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. until noon and 1–3 p.m.
Contact Joan Mohan, 641-269-3118, for an appointment.
Services Offered by the Reading Lab
The Reading Lab provides individual and small-group instruction to help students:
- strengthen their verbal skills, emphasizing comprehension and vocabulary
- acquire more effective study strategies (such as managing time, concentrating, critical reading, remembering, test- taking)
- increase their reading rate
- improve their English
- language proficiency and pronunciation (International students)
A diagnostic test may be administered to determine individual needs.
Reading 100 Course
What are the Reading 100 course requirements?
Reading 100 is a 1-credit Pass/Fail course.
Students are required to attend 22 class sessions during the semester and compile a 60 word vocabulary file. There are no out-of-class assignments.
Stop by as soon as possible and choose two classes per week when you will be free to work at the lab.
Please note: Students are welcome to visit the lab without registering for the course.
Reading 100 Course Syllabus
For the first half of the semester, one of your two weekly classes will be a small-group discussion. During your other class, you will work individually in the area of your choice.
We will cover the following topics:
- Time management
- How to make a realistic schedule: daily, weekly, monthly
- Procrastination: What is it? Causes? Cures?
- Vocabulary assignment: What’s the most natural way to increase your word power?
- How to read faster and better (more efficiently)
- Emphasis throughout on improving:
- How to get ready for tests: What are the best methods to process and retain information?
- Test anxiety?