- Feel a calling to serve others through a career in education?
- Want to join a welcoming community of passionate Grinnellians committed to solving issues of educational access, justice, and equality?
- Interested in learning more about a career in education, but don't know where to start?
The Education Professions (EdPros) Career Community welcomes all Grinnell students interested in careers in a wide range of education professions including (but not limited to) K-12 classroom teaching, educational policy and management, higher education, international education, school counseling, and school leadership.
The EdPros Career Community offers an innovative approach to career development. Beyond a series of jobs one holds over the course of a lifetime, a career is a blend of one's professional, personal, and civic aspirations. The EdPros Career Community, as part of the Center for Careers, Life, and Service, empowers students to live, learn, and work with meaning and purpose, transforming their undergraduate experience into a fulfilling lifelong career. The EdPros Career Community builds on the world-class liberal arts foundation at Grinnell to give students who are interested in education a competitive edge in their professional development, building field-specific knowledge and enhancing professional and job-seeking skills.
Have a combination of interests and skills? Students are also encouraged to build collaborations between the CLS's Career Communities. Possible intersections include jobs in educational policy (EdPros + Government and Social Service), arts education (EdPros + Arts, Media, and Communications), and educational consulting (EdPros + Business and Finance).
The EdPros Career Community provides opportunities including:
- One-on-one, student-centered advising from a community director with professional experience in education.
- Monthly community meetings where members read case studies of educational dilemmas, discuss trends in education, meet with on-campus speakers, and hear from current educational professionals.
- Education-specific treks to national and international school sites. Past Ed Pros treks have explored Chicago, Detroit, and South Africa, among other locations.
- Education-related speaker events, symposia, film screenings, and panels from educators in the field.
- Industry exploration and skill-building workshops, including sessions on internships, fellowships, résumé writing, job interviews, graduate school applications, and professional networking.
- Experiential learning opportunities, including internships and externships.
- Access to professional networks of experienced alumni and potential employers.
Want to take an active role in shaping the course of the EdPros Career Community? Every year, students can apply to become community leaders. These students work with and advise the community director as he develops and implements meaningful work-related experiences, both on-campus and off, for students and early career alumni. Student leaders get added perks, such as a guaranteed spot on treks they help plan, exclusive opportunities with visiting EdPros speakers, and advanced mentoring.
Additional information about the Education Professions Career Community is available on GrinnellShare (secure login required).