Living and learning in community
Welcome Grinnellians: we are so glad that you are here! You bring a multiplicity of experiences and perspectives that will further our commitment to the open exchange of ideas and to exploring issues of purpose, responsibility, and integrity on campus and beyond.
We are able to offer a robust in-person campus experience — within the responsive standards of community health we have used throughout the pandemic — thanks to several important actions we have taken and resources we have in place:
- foremost is our requirement that all students and employees have a COVID-19 vaccination,
- our ongoing consulting relationship with University of Iowa public health experts,
- the internal expertise and resources developed by the College’s Emergency Operations Team and the Student Health and Wellness (SHAW) team,
- our ongoing monitoring of the CDC, WHO, and other public health organizations as well as local, state, and regional public health information and data,
- our proven ability to quickly process public health news and information, share updates, and increase precautions as needed through campus communication channels and our Campus Activity Level system.
Evolving CDC advisories in response to COVID-19 may prompt further communication from the College about community health precautions.
Campus Activity Levels
Our campus activity level system provides overall guidance for life and work at Grinnell based on our community health conditions.
Current Activity Level: Modified Blue
- Campus community members and visitors are required to wear masks at all times indoors unless alone in a closed office space or with roommate(s) in a closed residence hall room.
- Due to their availability and high standard of protection, N95, KN95, or KF94 masks are required for students, faculty and staff. Other types of masks, including cloth masks, no longer meet masking requirements.
Classes: Courses will meet primarily in-person.
Meetings | Events:
- In person meetings and events can continue, but all participants must wear approved masks regardless of group size.
Bear Athletic Center and Athletic Events:
- Indoor masking at the Bear is required. Varsity athletic competitions will continue. Masking is required for all indoor venues/events, including spectators and all participants except those actively competing.
- Team training and competitions will follow mitigation practices as laid out by the NCAA and Midwest Conference.
Visitors: Visitors are welcome in campus buildings (other than the dining hall) and are required to wear masks.
- International and domestic college-sponsored travel is allowed as outlined in the college-sponsored travel policies. Please continue to be cautious when considering travel.
- We recommend viewing the CDC transmission estimates and COVID-19 testing or vaccination requirements for your destination prior to travel.
- The Marketplace dining hall will remain primarily a student-only space. Students are required to wear masks when navigating the Dining Hall but can take them off when actively eating.
- Room-specific food or beverage restrictions may remain in place; please refer to posted signs.
- Any food items planned for events must now be take-away only unless dining outside.
- Event organizers should contact the event proposal committee for guidance about the updated policy.
- Employees: Eating indoors in groups is no longer allowed. Employees may unmask briefly to eat in their workspaces.